View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Social Distraction? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey :twisted:

Well, Phillip Jackson talked about the "4 unpublicizied features of school life" in his article The Daily Grind.[/i] He mentioned delay, denial, interruption, and social distraction.

Personally, I think social distraction is a pretty important part of growing up and learning how to fit into American society. Even if a student gets into trouble because of "social distractions" it is still a life lesson. i would love to hear from any differing views! But what happens to a sheltered student, perhaps homeschooled for 10, 11 or even 13 years, then suddenly the student is thrust into college, any college?

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree. Although I am certainly not opposed to home schooling, I think that most people could name a home schooled student or two that don't have many social skills simply because they never interacted with other peers growing up. As any good homeschooling parent will probably tell you, peer interaction is essential if you expect your child to interact with others at any point later in their life with any degree of ability.

So, I think that you have made a good point. In some cases social interaction can be just as educational as school.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:35 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]