View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Segregation and resegregation in NC classrooms 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read this article… it was somewhat dry but at the same time full of useful and interesting information. After reading the article what did you think? Are our public schools headed back toward an old enemy in a new form… “Segregationâ€

Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think in some ways some schools never left the idea of segregation. Schools have changed it around by updating school districts boundaries in ways that segregate students or just added new programs to group those students that have higher or lower grades together. Honestly, I don't ever think to see the end of this new form of segregation or ever be rid of it completely. Teachers of next twenty years are being taught this knowledge and will then get into the schools and not stop this trend of grouping, and in addition will pick up more bad habits in teaching. Until there's a better way to have smaller class sizes or increase instructional time, it's a way to try to teach all your children.

Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In many ways, i think that it is nearly impossible to create a fully diverse and statistically representational classroom. First, one must decide what statistics should our classrooms represent? From a strictly race-based point of view, should our classrooms have the same racial make-up as the entire country or just that state? Either way, what about the actual logistics of this? Are we really going to make the kids ride buses for an hour to fill our quota? Are schools going to fight over the half-asian, half-chilean student because he or she counts double? Although diversity is certainly important, I'm afraid it may be impossible to implement.

Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:15 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]