View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Talk About Yourself! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey 8)

Frequently, we read and hear from family and friends about low qualtiy teachers. They can be worn out from dealing with the state, or maybe they are tired and burned out on teaching. It could be anything that cause a bad reflection. So here is my question:

As an up and coming teacher, what is it about YOU that is going to make your classroom the learning environment that is envisioned by educators and parents? What do you really want to put out there (besides your subject specialty)?

For instance, I really want to tell kids to practice educating themselves. I want to tell them to explore the world by traveling and to explore their desires and interests.

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:30 pm
All-star
All-star

If we're talking about classroom materials, I want to have maps all over my room (not just the old Mercator Projection of the world with the old USSR as I saw in one North Wilkes High classroom, but maps of our state, maps of Latin America, maps showing the nighttime US with all of its urban light centers, you get the idea). I also want to have images, large images of influential characters from World and U.S. History (Muhammed Ali, MLK, Jr., Cesar Chavez, Nelson Mandela, Bob Dylan, etc.) I know some teachers might think this would be distracting (and maybe it will be) but I don't want students to have a single chance to be bored in my classroom. If they are bored with what I'm saying, maybe they'll get interested in a poster of famous political quotations. I also am currently amassing a collection of Nat'l. Geographics from 1970 to the present which (aside from being extremely heavy to move) will give students an opportunity to explore the world, past and present, understand global society and change over time, and improve their literacy skills at the same time. The tougher part of your question, though, is non-material. I think I want to show kids that they live in an exciting place and that they can have great adventures and affect change in things they don't like. Social change is at the root of my reason for becoming a teacher, so empowering kids and helping them to understand eachother (what common ties run through their lives) is at the heart of my pre-teaching philosophy. We'll see how the real world treats me in the during-teaching phase!

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hoping to become Kindergaten teacher I hope to incorporate in my classroom creativity. Time for the children to be their selves and to express their own individual tallents. These are in such areas as art. I don't want the children to have a pattern to copy and that all bats have to look like this. You have orange piece of paper and some eyes now glue them on here. I want the children to be able to express themselves and make things as they believe they should be. Not to start these perfectionist idea in Kindergarten that all things have to be this way. I hope to make my classroom not look like a common classroom with letters on this wall, and pre-made boards on this wall. I want it to be made of childrens work and their own creations to celebrate their work not what I have done.

Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm a huge advocate of giving children options, influence, and choices. I think that children are much more likely to do what you ask if they have some sort of say in the process. I'll ask them what they think being a "good" student means, and their responses will become our classroom rules. I'll ask them what they think being a "good" teacher means, and those responses will become a set of rules that I'll set for myself.

I like the idea of giving children choices whenever possible because it gives them important life skills that promote responsibility. If you tell a child it's time to go when he is playing, he won't want to oblige. But if you tell him it's time to go, and he can choose which coat to wear and where he sits in the car, he is much more likely to go. Just giving children options and influence make them much more agreeable, and I think that this can be a powerful asset in any classroom.

Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:45 am
All-star
All-star

I want my students to have fun learning. I want them to come to class excited about what we are going to do, and not be bored before tehy get there and already have started glancing at the clock to see "how much longer is this gonna last???" Part of how i plan to do this is to not have a "regular" schedule in my classroom. Most of my math classes were come in, sit down, take out homework, get a grade, go over answers, "learn" something new, get homework assignment, leave. I dont want my class to be the same every day. I want to encourage my studnets to use things to do math, not just pencils and papers adn calculators. I want to have them stand in a circle and shake everybody elses hand once, and keep a count. Not just work it on paper. Thats boring.
Just a few thoughts....

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:59 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]