View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paddling 
All-star
All-star

I have an internship at a school where they allow the principle to paddle the children. The parents can sign a consent form that allows the principle to paddle their child or not. The child gets three visists to the principle's office, but when the fourth visit comes, he or she will receive a paddle if their parent has signed the consent form. I was wandering if you agree with paddling and why or why not?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I don’t think that paddling has any place in a school. Each parent can discipline their child as they choose, but a school should be a safe environment where children don’t have to worry about such threats. I don’t think paddling is even very effective. I remember students in my school who were paddled every day with no improvement in behavior. One teacher even let the students sign the paddle after they received their punishment, and the students enjoyed the signing more than they hated the paddling. If judges don’t paddle criminals for their crimes, why should we paddle students?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Discipline is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. Everyone has a different opinion of how it should be done. That is one of the biggest things that I worry about in my classroom. I think this is one problem with today's schools. Kids are so spoiled and not scared of anybody. I think for some kids, a paddling would do them some good. Kids aren't afraid to stand up to a teacher, because all that will happen is a talk and maybe ISS or something that takes them out of class. Paddling not only hurts, but it embarrases the child also, so I believe they would think twice about doing something again. I don't want to sound like the evil teacher, but I do think school is a place where kids learn to behave. I don't think paddling should be used as a consequence for every time a child misbehaves, but if the child has done something pretty bad, I don't think paddling is too harsh.

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There should be discipline in the schools, to an extent. I think that paddling is too harsh to use in the schools. ISS, detention, or suspending students is fine. But I think paddling, with or with out the parents consent, has no place in the schools. This sort of discipline should be up to the parents to use. School is supposed to be a place where children feel safe, and aren't afraid to go.

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dont think that paddling will do much to curb disciplinary problems because if anything it will make kids resent their teachers and other school officials. Paddling not only hurts, but it is definately embarasing and i think it can only make kids bitter. The teacher student relationship should be one of respect and paddling doesnt seem very respectful to me. I think that there must be better ways to maintain discipline than corporal punishment.

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the school where I am doing my internship, the kids are shown paddles at the beginning of the year, but I don't think they are ever used. I think it is a parent's place to discipline a child, but I guess there is a point where some action has to be taken.

Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Im not sure where I stand on this. I feel that in some cases this would be a good thing, but at the same time Im not sure. I do think that discipline is a huge problem in our schools and that the punishment for unappropriate behavior should be raised in order to maintain a healthy class environment, but as far as paddeling a child.... I dont know.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Harsh punishments do not automaticlly deter unwanted behavior. I believe in giving positive reinforcment as a way to promote a desire behavior or outcome. Physical punishment has no place in the school system. If my kids attended a school where there was an option for kids to be paddled with their parents consent, I'd take them out ASAP.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Although I don't disagree with paddling from a parents perspective I'm not for it in the schools. I think even though you have parent sign a consent form, there's always going to be the question of whether or not the child truly deserved to be paddled and how hard are paddles going to be. These are decisions that a parent should decide not a teacher or the principal. There just seems to be so many more options out there in teaching a student how to "behave".

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that in some cases, a paddling may be just what is needed to bring an uppity kid "down from their high horse", to borrow a phrase from my dad. However, let the punishment fit the crime. If a child is caught passing notes, dont spank them. Make them responsible for creating and sending thank you notes for the classroom or something, since they like notes so much. :wink: If a child is caught talking in the hallway, or in some other "silent" situation, make them a spokesperson for the class: they want to take a field trip this student get s to "pitch" the idea to the principle (with the help of the teacher.) :D

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the school where I intern, paddlings are used. However, I think my teacher tries to do other discipline procedures herself rather than sending the child to the principles office. Most of the children in my class this semester come from broken up families. One little girl has to do all the cooking, cleaning, basically everything for herself. My teacher said that she has no clue to how they treat her at home ,but is afraid to know. You never know what is going on at home. I feel that if a child is abused at home, the school setting should be their safe place. Paddling a child with these problems at home can push them away from everything and everyone. The problem is you never know what a child is experiencing at home. In some cases, paddling might do good, but you dont know that.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:45 am
All-star
All-star

i feel that paddiling is a good resource for a principal to have. I remember when i was in elementary school and even junior high a student could recieve a paddling and to be honest the thought of being paddled scared me and would make me feel embrassed in front of my peers if i would have had to recieve one. So knowing this i think that if it would have the influences on kids to where they would be afraid and do right then its good. Also some kids arent displined by their parents at all and thats why some kids seem so out of control. So, maybe by presenting this as a result of bad behaivor, kids would behave.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that paddling should be allowed in school. It's not the school's responsibility to disciple a student in that way even if a parent signs a paper. Students should receive some type of punishment, but leave the harsh punishment to the parents.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the school that my parents teach at paddling is allowed with a parents consent form. I believe that if it was enforced for everybody without the parent consent form than yes it would be a problem. But being that they have a parent consent form I don't see the problem. Some parents use spanking for their discipline and if that is how they want their child to be disciplined than so be it.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Amy's idea! Let the crime fit the punishment! But what do you do when the problem is continual and often very serious? I believe paddling can be a good resource for the principal to have as long as they have parent permission and the problem has become serious. I don't think paddling should be used lightly. Discipline should start at home, but if parents aren't willing to have some control over their child's life, then it makes the situation for the teacher and school much harder.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Paddling is such a touchy issue and everyone has their views on it because everyone has their views on how they want their child displined. I have heard in one school that the principal doesn't have the right to paddle but their are forms signed at the beginning of the year stating whether or not the parent wants to be called to come in a paddle their child. The schools reasoning was it was the parents choice to if they wanted to paddle and if they choose to then they could do it. But even with this policy do you know what the child is going through at home en their parent is called to do this at school. You may witness it at school and the extentent isn't taken to far but what happens to that child when they get home??? Or in this case can the principal tell the parent to stop when it is enough?? Who measures enough when the principal is doing it or the parent??

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:34 pm
Site Admin

I decided I had to raise a question here:

We should be teaching kids that school is a place where hitting is NOT allowed. I think we all agree on that.

What, then, does it teach them if we hit them?

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There are definitely some high school students I deal with that I would welcome an opportunity to send them down the hall for a paddling or two! What a concept! I'm all for it! ...

but on a more serious note: my mom was a preschool director at a preschool about 10 years ago that allowed paddling - they no longer do it - but I often wondered what the parents felt. Many of the parents of the children who were paddled on a regular basis welcomed another person's help in the discipline of their child. These were the extreme cases where their child was truly out of hand! I think it worked well - and eventually their child learned the ropes of the preschool.... but this really was all about a deeper deal - -

what was going on at home.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally i think paddling is a good idea to an extent. I think it's a good thing for principals to have to turn to if they need it. If the parents are giving consent for the principal to paddle their child then I don't see a problem with it. I think the problem comes when schools just do it without the consent of the parents. I know that if I was at a school where they paddled I would never do anything wrong because I would be scared to be paddled. This may not work with every student but does. :)

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Gayle. Kide are not allowed to hit each other, even if one of them deserves to be hit by the other, but hitting is a violent act. Paddling is not an intellectual act. It does not encourage learning, it encourages a high pain tolerance.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:04 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next