View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Bad professors 
All-star
All-star

I don’t mean to have a nasty attitude, but I’ve noticed some interesting things about some of our education professors. (not you, Dr. Turner, you’re great!) Some of the professors are fabulous, but others don’t seem to always practice what they preach. These professors use teaching strategies that they claim to hate, like certain testing and grading techniques. It always takes weeks to get back my assignments, usually without much feedback. These teachers seem to counteract almost every teaching technique they require us to learn. These teachers encourage us to go out and change the world while they fill our heads with such incredibly negative ideas that it makes me want to crawl in a hole and hide rather than teach. I know they say they only want to prepare us for what teaching will really be like, but it can’t be THAT bad. Maybe I just have a bad attitude, and I’m trying to avoid it, but what does everyone else think about Appalachian’s education professors?

Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definatelt think that my education teachers in general ( excludind Dr. Turner) are far from inspiring, and typically very unorganized in their curriculums. Several have also given me the impression that they assume their students are ignorant. For example several that i have talk in class like many students are incapable of composing a well organized paper, which i find kind of insulting at this point. If you are taking a 3000 level course i think its pretty fair to assume that you have written atleast a few compositions. The more teachers expect from me, and the more confident they are in my abilities the more i will want to live up to their expectations and impress them. I dont like to be talked to like i dont know anything, and some ed proffs do exactly that.

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you about some professors. I always thought that since I was in the EDUCATION department, I would have the best teachers, and for the most part, I have really learned a lot from my professors. There have been a few though who you can tell are not at all interested in being in class or who don't care about their students. As a future teacher, that is very disheartening.

Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:18 pm
All-star
All-star

As a follow-up question, who have been your great teachers in App's education department? What made them great?

Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh, I really liked Jeff Fletcher for always being the devil's advocate, and encouraging his students to jump the fence just for the sake of doing so. (Happens to be one of my favorite things to do!) Also, Mary Timothy gave me a lot of great feedback during my after school session for CI 2800 which I really appreciated, although her class was very uninspiring. I've dropped two classes in the department of ed after the first class meeting because I didn't want to learn from that professor. We have to exercise what powers we have and make executive decisions about our educations/ educators.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For the most part the teachers in the education program (I can only speak about Middle Grades of course) have been pretty good. I have had classes with Fletcher and I must agree with Cassandra, also Dr. Jacobson is wonderful and has given our social studies methods course tons of actual classroom applicable activities. Though a paticular professor that I have for a methods course this semester has yet to give an assignment, and the class ends on Oct. 28 !?!?

cs60119@appstate.edu

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I have actually only had 2 teachers in the education department: Mary Timothy ( :D ) and Gayle Turner ( :D ). All my other professors have been in "subject matter". My science teachers.... ehhhh :roll: but my math teachers have been really good about sharing ideas and examples of teaching. Not many are very prompt on returning graded stuff though... in any subject :(

Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:27 pm
All-star
All-star

i feel that my over all experience with asu ed teachers has been about average. Some that i have seen (Dr. Turner)do teach what they preach but there are still always those teachers who preach it but come no where near to living it. I do think that thats awful and they should have someone talk to them about it cause it really sets a bad example for us. One would think that they themselves would see that and maybe they do and just dont care enough anymore to change.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good question and I too have experienced unbenefical teaches here at ASU as well as benefical ones. Unfortunately ASU lost Susan Gilbert to another school, who was very motivating and constructed an interesting learning environment, and I won't go into naming any others but I do fill out evaluations to there fullest when I have a teacher who needs some constructive critisism. I do look down on the lack of feedback I get on papers I turn in but i do feel for the most part I get my papers back in a timely manner and I don't like when teachers have strict (you miss one day and it's points off your grade) attendence policies but they can call class off when it is convenient for them, have had that happen! So practice what you preach.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have had both bad and good teachers here at ASU. I agree with everyone that has said that the teachers that are not teaching the way that they preach are setting a bad example for us. Some teachers are really bad about giving papers back in a timely manner, and giving good feed back on them. I really enjoy knowing what I can do better, and some teachers just don't tell you. I have had some really good teachers that don't just write their feedback on your papers, but also talk to you about them.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]