View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Children with disablities and the NCLB act 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After answering the question about children with disablities I began thinking about the No Child Left Behind act.

Do you think the NCLB act will help with the problem of children with disabilities being over looked and pasted to the next grade?

Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Honestly, I think it might make the "passing on" of children worse... If nothing else, I think it might reduce the time allowed to be spent with special educators, because every minute with the special educators is a minute less in the "real" classroom, where they are getting behind...

Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Th at is great question. I have been wondering about that myself. I mean how do you know if a child with a disability is on grade level. However, I do think that maybe the NCLB might be able to help these children. Maybe.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Correct me if I’m wrong, but NCLB leaves open a small percentage of students who will be excluded from testing. This percentage will obviously be used for students with disabilities. Seems to me, this makes those children into the ones being at least left out, if not left behind. I’m not saying that these students should be tested, but a lack of testing deemphasizes the importance of these students in the school. I have heard disabled college students speak about NCLB, and all I have heard from them is passionate disgust.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think with NCLB that so much emphasis is being put on testing and accountability that it puts children with dissabilities at a disadvantage. Teachers get raises and bonuses based on how their classes do, so teachers are not going to want these children in their classrooms because it will make them look bad, and like Mary said if they don't test them, these students are being left out. I am afraid that these students will just get passed through school and will be left behind.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:47 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with what leslie said. These children with disabilites will get passed on to another grade without acheiveing what they should have in their grade. While the NCLB act dose have some good aspects to it, this is a part of it that i dont like.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]