View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Teaching Methods 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In reading about the ball and his teaching methods made me think about the many classes that I am in now. Though I am a Birth-Kindergarten major and my major is a lot different from all of yours I am reminded of the teaching techniques that we are taught in class. How not to lecture and to have in class activities to stimulate learning? I am just wonder how much is of this is taught to you in the upper levels and how much of this are you going to do in your classroom and still get all information learned for EOGs? I know it is going to be challenging to me in my lower level of not using worksheet to practice learning because so much of that is being taught in the classroom now. How much representation have you seen in actually classroom experience of this taking place (no worksheets and learning activities?)

Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe in that old Greek maxim: nothing too much! I think the answer is using a little of everything. I'm not gonna lie and say that I'll never use a worksheet or handout, becuase I will. I will also lecture; hello, I'm a teacher and sometimes that's gonna mean I have the floor. This all comes from the old school, and is the way most of us were taught, which I might add must not have been all that detrimental, becuase as far as I'm concerned, you're all really intelligent and nice to converse with in this forum.
On the other hand, we can't ignore all of the wonderful information we're getting that you're talking about that tells us that there are better things and ways to teach. I think that the class is a fine balance of the things you mentioned, like creative, collective, and group-based learning approaches, and the other side of teaching that is a little more authoritarian as well.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with cassandra. I feel that in order for our school system to be effective we must incorporate a little of everything while sticking to what we are expected to teach. Ive said it before that I think a good teacher can take what is required and make it more.

Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that the you don't have to use just one style of teaching to be effective. I had the Old School method of teaching like Cassandra mentioned and I think I turned out alright. I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on one way of teaching (traditional for example) versus another (progressive, learner-centered schools). Both seem to have compelling evidence so why shouldn't both be incorporated?

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that many teachers lean to far one way or the other. I think that if you give a lecture on a subject, then you should reinforce the idea with a fun activity that gets the kids involved, or if they do an activity, give them a worksheet that reflects on the activity. Too much of a good thing could turn into a bad thing, also kids as well as teachers get into rutts. I think we as teachers should try to challenge ourselves and use different teaching methods.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Just like Cassandra, "moderation in all things" is my motto, and I think I'll carry that idea into my classroom. I'll be working with children, and I would like to incorporate multiple learning styles and techniques into my lesson plans. I want to appeal to visual, auditory and kinesthetic learners, while incoporating art, music and even food! I want my classroom to be a multi-dimensional learning experience that involves all five senses. I'm sure I've idealized the future a little bit, but hopefully I'll remember my optimism when I get into the classroom. I want each child to find some aspect of my lesson that excites, intrigues or inspires him!

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:56 am
All-star
All-star

I agree. I feel that as teachers we should use numerous instructional strategies to teach children what they need to know. Like me, children get tired of doing the same thing all of the time. Children need to be stimulated in different ways and that won't happen if teachers don't get creative and create different ways of teaching. Lecture, worksheets, and busy work are not the only ways to teach children and if a teacher is serious and cares about her/his job, then they will create numerous instructional strategies to stimulate the children to learn. Learning can be fun, if it is done the right way. Moderation is the key.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:41 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]