View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Graduate high school with a college degree 
All-star
All-star

Some schools in North Carolina are beginning to think about and test new programs that would allow students to get an associate degree by going to high school one extra year. There would be no extra cost to the student. What do you think?

Should we add 13th grade so students can get an associate degree in high school?

Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know to much about the associate degree program, but I would like to learn more about it. I haven't heard that much about it so I'm curious to know what the thinking is behind it. I think that its great that it wouldn't cost anything to receive a higher education such as an associate agree though. As to adding another grade on to high school, I think that it would be fine, but only if the students were able to choose whether or not they wanted to get an associates degree or a college degree somewhere else. I think that it should be left up to the students on what they want to do.

Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't heard anything about this yet, but if this is true, then I think that it is a great opportunity. If they do decide to go ahead and try it, they should make it optional, just like Amanda said. This would help people that didn't want to go to college get some kind of degree rather than the High School diploma. If this opportunity would be free, I think it is a great idea.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have heard Gov. Eisley (sp) is trying to get this AA degree program implemented and in my opinion what it's trying to do is give kids something more than a high school diploma. And I don't know if there would be a 13th grade or if the curriculum would change and kids would still get out in 4 yrs. I'm not ready to knock change but if it means to add another yr onto high school, I think kids are ready to be done and they need time away from classrooms and teachers.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I haven't heard anything before this about it either. However, it would be a way for a lot of kids to get some sort of soemthing besides a high school diploma, even if they are financially challenged. The only question I have is, would it reach the students that it could benefit the most? Don't we already have trouble with so many kids dropping out of high school before they are done, because they are just sick of school? In theory, I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. I'm just a bit skeptical about how well it would work in practice.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that it really depends on the student and what goals they have set for themselves. For example, I have a friend who what he had planned for his career was to graduate high school and then start taking over the family business. If he would of had to go another year to get an associates degree would have delayed his goals for his life and given him a degree that he will not even use. So I totally agree that if this is going to be put in the school system then it should be an option for the students.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:34 am
All-star
All-star

i think that this is a good ideal. In my high school once you got in tenth grade you could take classes at the local community college and all you had to pay for was your books. By the time i graduated i almost was considered a sophmore when i came here. It wasnt a associates degree but i had most of my core out of the way. I think programs like these are excellent and would jump start a students college career and for many maybe inspire them to seek higher education instead of stopping after high school.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Graduating high school with a college degree is quite an accomplishment. I feel that many courses I have had in college is just a repeat of what I had in high school. So I think that it would be good if there was an option to go ahead and take classes in high school that would give you college credit. As for the thirteenth year if it was optional, the people who are going to stay is the people who are going to college anyway. Even though the kids are not going to have to pay for it directly, the school is going to have to hire more teachers which would cost the tax payer about the same as if the state increased financial aid for college students. If the thirteenth year was required, I think the students would hate being made stay there, and wouldn't benefit much from it.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've also never heard of this, but I think it would be great! First of all: FREE!!! Second: maybe it would help to weed out some of our not-so-serious peers in college. If a 13th grade were implemented, students would learn more about their interests and noninterests before paying for it, and college would be less like high school in the first year. I didn't think my first year of college was at all easy, but I will say that the attitude of some of my peers was ridiculous and took away from class time and that they should probably have been doing something else. Had they gone to 13th, maybe they would've been more serious about school and their choices. Also, with an associates degree under their belt, many students probably wouldn't feel so pressured into enrolling in college immediately (and might I add, for the wrong reasons.) I've met a lot of people here who are here only because their parents or society or both told them it was the right thing to do. Well, where's the motivation there? It certainly isn't for one's self, but coming from the outside, which turns college into, for some, nothing more than a four year coddling stint. I think anything that can be done to prevent this would be great. There shouldn't be so much pressure to get into college right away, maybe grade 13 would give students a good excuse so take a break and think about how they want their lives to be, rather than just jumping into college because someone else said it was the right thing to do.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it sounds like a good idea, but I don't know much about it. This is the first I have heard about it. I agree that it would depend on kid and his or her goal. In some ways I don't think a 13th year would be good because students are just so ready to graduate high school, I know I was. But it is a great opportunity for students who can't afford to go to a college.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with most of yall in that i think this would be a great opportunity for people who cannot afford college to atleast get a taste of higher education that would also help them get a higher paying job with no cost to them. I also think that it is vital for the program to be an option not a requirement. 4 years is plenty of prep for college, and i know i was ready for something different after my four years.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I had it to do all over again and I and knew the value and the expense of education, I would stay an extra year. I do not know how many 12th graders can concieve of staying on another year, though?

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

this is the first i've heard of this discussion... my question would be what exactly would this look like?

i agree with what so many people have said already - it would be hard to keep seniors in school another year - - and it is highly doubtful that we could increase the amount of learning in four years to include an associate degree as well as a HS diploma...

but it is an interesting concept. The fact is: students need more than just a HS diploma to make it these days. The problem is: how do we hand high school students what they need in the face of rising college costs and rising qualifications for paying jobs. I'm not sure an added year or added assosciate degree will meet this need... but i'm all for giving it a shot.

Students do need more. How are we going to give them more? This may be an option... I'd like to see more info on this issue.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had not heard of this before, but I think it would be a good oportunity for students. I agree that it should be optional for students to do. By the time students get to 12th grade they are ready to get out, adding another mandatory year might not be the best thing for some students. It would definitely be a good oportunity for those who can not afford to go to a 4-yr college.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]