View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Learning Disablities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My younger brother was being passed through his lower elementary school grades when there was an apparent problem with his learning ability. His teachers seemed like they just did not want to deal with it. It wasn't until my parents went in and fought to get him tested for a learning disability in reading that anything was done. He ended up testing into the LD program which has helped him a lot.

What do you guys think of teachers that just pass students along when there is an apparent problem? Do any of you have experience with this?

Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that all teachers should be able to recognize problems that children have and get them help if they need it. Its not right for children to just pass through the school system because in the long wrong its going to hurt the children, which isn't right. Children with any kind of disability should get the appropriate so that their learning experience can be fun. Children with disabilities should have one on one help with someone who specializes in that area that the child is disabled in so that they get the best education and help they can.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think a lot of times teachers may be afraid or overly cautious to say whether they believe a child has a learning disability. I know in the older grades especially teachers might even be unsure whether or not the child has a learning disability or if they aren't motivated. I know of a teacher who believed the child had a learning disability but when it came time for the child to be tested the parents refused. I agree however by not recognizing the disability it does a great disservice to the child in question. I'm glad everything turned out well for your brother. :D

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it’s a shame what your brother and others like him go through in our school systems. I think as teachers it is our responsibility to reach the children and give each one a fare shake at a quality education. However when teachers overlook an obvious learning disability they cant reach that child on a level that he/she needs to make progress in the education system. If you can’t reach the child then you can’t teach the child… plain and simple. It is our job to become educated on learning disabilities and other problems students might be facing so that we can better understand them and attend to their needs so that the child’s educational experience is both enjoyable as possible, (what kid really enjoys school.. HAHA), and valuable.

Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think part of the problem with teaching programs today are that strategies for inclusion aren't taught in most classes or if they aren't not enough to help new teachers out in the real world or updated once you get in the schools as a teacher. Students with learning disabilities make up most of the special education system and yet are rarely just in classes of children with special education. A lot are in regular education classes and only need a little extra help like review sheets before tests and more practice. Other things any teacher can do is let children have more test time or allow them to take a test in the library or quieter setting. It's a shame kids are allowed to pass through the system in areas.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think part of the problem with teaching programs today are that strategies for inclusion aren't taught in most classes or if they aren't not enough to help new teachers out in the real world or updated once you get in the schools as a teacher. Students with learning disabilities make up most of the special education system and yet are rarely just in classes of children with special education. A lot are in regular education classes and only need a little extra help like review sheets before tests and more practice. Other things any teacher can do is let children have more test time or allow them to take a test in the library or quieter setting. It's a shame kids are allowed to pass through the system in areas.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something that really bothers me about schools. I have a learning disablitiy and we didn't know about it until i was in high school. Or better yet nothing was done about it until then. I made it that far with no one ever saying anything about it. I think this happens to often and in the long run in just ends up hurting the child. You aren't doing them a favor by passing them on. Children deserve and have the right to get the help they need. Maybe this NCLB act will help stop that, who knows.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is a shame that children are being pushed through the system just to let the next teacher handle that situation. I know that in my degree, which is B-K, that we are preached and preached upon about inclusion and that is the ideal situation. I wonder if some teachers are trying to hard at inclusion besides getting the child test and risk getting that child pulled out of a regular classroom. I think that they should be tested anyway because as others have said in the long run it will help the child not hurt the child. At least the child can get learning stragies and extra help where they really need it.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My family had a similiar situation as Lindsey's... only it wasn't that my sisters had a learning disablitity or anything like that -- instead it was the learning process that their Kindergarten classes were emplementing.

Instead of teaching the usual phonics for the alphabet the teachers encouraged their students to come up with their own alphabet to express the words they wanted to write. Sounds nice and wonderful... even creative. My sisters were then expected to enter 1st grade and begin to read but they had never learned the usual phonetics - how to sounds out words - to figure out how to read words. One of my sisters was able to repeat kindergarten at a different school - - but my other sister never had anyone take the time to assess the damage that first year caused. She still struggles with reading words that are not familiar to her.

If only a teacher had seen the problem maybe they both could have gotten a good foundation in this.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]