View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 affirmative action 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What does every one think affirmative action is? How do you feel about it?

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have mixed feelings concerning affirmative action. I understand the importance of correcting our 'past' actions, but why should we be punished for something that we had nothing to do with? I don't think it's done in the best way possible because if I wasn't able to get into the college of my choice (and I had the grades, community service, and other requirements) just because I was a white person, then I don't see how that is fair. Maybe I'm being naive, but the past is the past and I believe we need to focus on the future...if you deserve the job, school, or anything else you desire and don't get it because of your race (no matter what color you are) I think that's wrong.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I never thought that affirmative action was fair untill one of my high school teachers pointed out to me that not getting into your top school choice or first job choice is still alot less of a disadvantage than having parents who were not allowed to even go to schools with academic standards that are up to par. It may be pretty annoying to think that a less qualified person is in a possition that you wanted, because of their race, but i guess you should also consider the load in their invisable knapsack.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I never thought that affirmative action was fair untill one of my high school teachers pointed out to me that not getting into your top school choice or first job choice is still alot less of a disadvantage than having parents who were not allowed to even go to schools with academic standards that are up to par. It may be pretty annoying to think that a less qualified person is in a possition that you wanted, because of their race, but i guess you should also consider the load in their invisable knapsack.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:31 pm
All-star
All-star

That's a good point, Mark. Perhaps we need to think of this issue as being an issue of equality instead of an issue of fairness.

I see Ashley's point too. Sometimes when I am in classes that are in high demand and very difficult to get into, I notice that I'm suddenly surrounded by people of minority races - they have scholarships and such that allow them to register for classes earlier than most people. This initially seems unfair, but don't these students need those classes to fulfill scholarship requirements?

Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel affirmative action has helped a lot of people over the years that might not have been considered in the past. Considering segregation was to the point separate but equal was the standard everywhere as a general rule not even 50 years ago, I think the faces of businesses and schools everywhere are a lot more diversified thanks to this law and people are given a chance even if it's forced on the employer or institution. Not to have lack of faith in humanity, but without this law, women and minorities wouldn't as many opportunities in traditionally white-male dominanted industries or be allowed to attempt to try that field.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't have a problem with affirmative action because in a society where people claim that every is "equal" this is a way that it actually happens. Affirmative action gives the minorites the opportunity to have the white privelage.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think affirmative action was a needed thing in the past. It helped people of a different race get into the work field and get things they needed, but now I think that many people take advantage of it. I went to high school with a girl that was of different ethnicity who told us that colleges would accept her before they would any of us because of her different background. We all had higher grades and SAT scores, but she got several scholarships because she was of different ethnicity. Don't get me wrong it has its disadvantages as well as its advantages, but isn't this how most things in the world are, good for some and bad for others?

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:13 am
All-star
All-star

Affirmative action has proved to help in the past but like some of the other replys have said, i too feel that it is taken advantage of in our society today. While i still feel that some people are treated unequally, that occurs to everyone, not just a certian race or minority so if it occurs to everyone in some way, then its kinda like we are all being treated equal, just in a negative way. While i feel bad about things that happened generations ago, the fact is that it happened generations ago and i didnt do those things and nothing i can say will make what happened then better. I also know people who feel that they will recieve better treatment, job and accepted to colleges quicker because of thier race and not of what they've acheived in their life. I feel that this is unfair to other people.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Affirmative action can help everyone have the same chances as everyone else. For college admissions, one of my professors told us information on how thye select the Freshman class. He said that it is based on a point system. You get about the same amount of points being a legacy as you would if you were a minority. You get points based on different things such as if you grew up in a farming community, where you went to hig school, how much your parents make, ect. It can help if you are a minority, but it doesn't necessarily mean you get into the college that you choose.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Affirmative action can help everyone have the same chances as everyone else. For college admissions, one of my professors told us information on how they select the Freshman class. He said that it is based on a point system. You get about the same amount of points being a legacy as you would if you were a minority. You get points based on different things such as if you grew up in a farming community, where you went to hig school, how much your parents make, ect. It can help if you are a minority, but it doesn't necessarily mean you get into the college that you choose.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I've never really felt that affirmative action has succeeded its importance. Once can see affimative active failing all of the time. It fails in jobs, admitance in collegs, and scholarships. I feel that it should be looked at and reconsidered again because its obviously not working.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:05 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]