View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Are we being heard??? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hey ya'll!
In class we talked briefly about be heard. I just wanted to get a more personal feel for what you guys think it means to be heard...when do you really feel that your ideas and feelings are being taken into consideration? When (as a teacher) do you think you will have problems being heard? If you had one thing to say that everyone could hear, what would it be??? :D

Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think what it means to be heard is that you listen and are listened to. It's rare for some be heard and understood in the way they want to be portrayed and when it happens, it's like a lightbulb that goes off inside. As a teacher, I know I'll have to work harder to be heard than other teachers due to my soft voice. I just worry more that I'll over look someone who needs to heard in my classroom.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Beth about what being heard means. I think it is really hard though to be heard on a topic such as abortion, evolution, or who should be the next president. Everyone has their own opinion and they usually aren't interested in your's. As a teacher I think it will be hard to be heard on those certain topics inside and outside the classroom.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think, if you are confrontational and abrasive no one is going to hear or listen to what you have to say, all they are going to remember is that you were confrontational and abrasive. And, if that's HOW you want to be heard or remembered then go for it. However, if you want you opinion to be heard the I think people have different ways of making themselves being heard. But what surfaced for me out of that small group discussion, was how it must feel if you are trying to communicate, following a non-abrasive format, and your thoughts are not being listened to or taken seriously and all because of your gender, skin color, religious affiliation, or what have you. How frustrating that must feel like and I can imagine from that frustration comes anger.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:44 pm
All-star
All-star

What would I want to be heard on? Hmmm... I guess I'd have to say I want people to listen and take action about making school focused more on FUN learning, rather than "you gotta learn this cuz your gonna be tested on it". That just sounds way to much like WORK, and I always thought kids were supposed to have fun beign kids before they had to WORK 40 hrs a week.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In our small group discussion we highlight that to be heard really depends on the environment and the listener. It doesn't matter if you are the greatest persuasive speaker in the world. You will not be heard if the listener is close minded and doesn't want to be open minded.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Uhh, I think I'll have problems being heard everyday. I don't think that I can fool myself with the expectation that all of my students will selflessly dedicate themselves to what I have to say... it would be nice, but let's get real. They have lives. They are going out, breaking up, having sex, defying their parents... I dont' think they will be able to focus on me all of the time. My goal is to do the best I can. That way, hopefully what they do hear from my mouth will be of importance to them in their own individual way.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:23 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]