View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Assessments 
All-star
All-star

At the school where I have an internship at, students are being assessed almost everyday. Kindergarterners are being assessed on math and reading everyday and they know it. They know they are being tested in some way or form. I was wandering what everyone's thoughts and feelings were on the issue of the growing assessments that are being done in schools everywhere.

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think kids are being assessed to death. Isn't end of grade test enough? What has happened to just coming to school learning and having fun? Kids feel pressure just as much as adults do, and school shouldn't be a place where kids are not comfortable at. Kids should feel relaxed and not pressured to preform. I think if we are going to assess kids this much, we should change the name from schools to a testing center.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I fully agree with Leslie! Going to school used to be fun and children looked forward to it, but now I think that outlook has changed. Students dread going to school everyday because they have entirely too much pressure on them--from the expectations of the parents, to the testing they endure everyday, to the elaborate eog testing, students don't have any time to just sit back and learn something. Testing students to death will result in rote memorization, not real learning. I find myself trying desperately to learn the stuff my professors are teaching, but when it comes down to the test, I don't have time to do anything but memorize!

Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

I personally dont like the ideal of assesment at all. In my opinion when a kid feels like they are going to be tested on something they learn that and overlook the rest of the material. Dose that make the other material less important? Also not every child testes well. There are so many problems with assesment its hard to find a place to begin. Can you really measure a childs full potential or knowledge about a subject by testing them? I dont think so.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree completely. Kids are being tested to death. I have a friend whos child started Kindergaten this year. They are testing him almost everyday on somthing. One day he was so scared that he told the teacher his stomach hurt and he ended up going home and later told his mom that he was afraid that he wasn't going to do well. It is crazy. Kids shouldn't feel this way about going to school and completing a school day.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:oops:

Yeah, kids who have to go to school everyday knowing that a test or quiz is is waiting for them must be either nervous, anxious, scared, bothered, or intimidated. I understand that there are these things called laws that force us to keep standards of acheivment high, but wouldn't it be nice if it could be masked or muted in some way, especially for the younger children. I think all kids should be able to enjoy some aspects of learning, but how can they if they are always having to regurgitate. I think teachers should try to get creative with the quizzing.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel sorry for the students. The other day i sat in my class that I intern for and was listening to the teacher read off the scores for AR. She kept stressing that they need to test, test, test! Thats all I hear everytime I go into her classroom. I hardly ever see them do a lesson together except for their board work, which isn't much. I wished that the fun in school would be put back in.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:31 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]