View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Lateral Entry Teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With there being such a high demand for teachers, what is your opinion on lateral entry teachers?

Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's a necessary evil so students can get an education but at the same time, I think it shortchanges them in some ways. From what I know about lateral entry, it's a good way for those who would be good teachers into the schools but at the same time, it's also can be viewed as a fall back career if you fail at your previous job and just need a paycheck.

Depending on the readiness a person gets to go to the field, it's an opinion but as someone being trained to be a teacher, I would have to say the training may not be perfect or give you what you need to better handle the paper work and some of the situations you might run into in the class room.

Teaching programs ideally should give you some ideas and help when going to the field. It really helps if you have children in your class with special needs thanks to inclusion. However, I've gotten the impression it's not a taught thing in most education programs that aren't specifically special education.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that lateral entry is an evil at all. Certainly people can get into schools through lateral entry and be poor teachers but I'm not completely convinced that lateral entry teachers are destined to be worse than trained teachers. As we all know there are a huge number of people that are well-trained and well-qualified and terrible teachers. I had a teacher in high school that had never been to college and was an excellent teacher. Although I should mention he taught vocational classes, I think that people can still be good teachers without a lot of schooling, regardless of subject matter. I think the main difference is that in school they try to teach you what a lifetime of experience would. Some people simply have the lifetime of experience.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Justin on lateral entry teachers. There are numerous teachers who have got their four year degree, or an even higher degree and are terrible teachers. Just because people get the right training doesn't mean they will be exemplary teachers. Granted there will be some lateral entry teachers that are terrible, but like that of trained teachers there can be good lateral entry teachers. I feel that lateral entry teachers could be just as good as trained teachers and since there is such a huge tachers deficit, we need as many teachers as we can get.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not a lateral entery student but because I have a BS degree in outdoor education and I'm returning to school to just get my teaching cert. So, there is a difference here but in my situation I have three years of non-traditonal teaching under my belt but I don't have that little piece of paper that says I can teach in public schools. But if I were to go into the school system while getting my teaching cert. I feel as if I'd be qualified. You just never know someones background and because a person decides to change careers and go into teaching, they may bring to the classroom skills they can't get in college.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know much about Lateral Entry, but I do know is that the people that are unable to pass Praxis 1 are getting their degree and the going Lateral Entry. With Lateral Entry, they do not require the Praxis from what I understand. If I am wrong, please correct me. In other situtations it is different just as Susan stated.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At my high school there were a number of excelent teachers with no piece of paper declaring that they were teaching certified and had passed their praxis. Most of these people were former professionals such as lawyers and doctors who decided to enter the field because they had succeded at their previous vocation. These people were in my mind far better teachers than many teachers who graduated with teaching in mind. They had world and people experience, and they know what it takes to succede; they used this experience effectively in the class room. I think lateral entry teachers should be evaluated on what they can do in the classroom, not what pieces of paper they have.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:48 pm
All-star
All-star

The biggest problem with lateral entry teachers seems to be the year when they can teach while working on, but BEFORE, their certification. Some of these teachers teach one year and then just move to a new school, never getting their certification. Teaching becomes simply a job instead of a commitment.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I have mixed feelings about Lateral entry. I had a teacher in high school that was lateral entry and she was terrible. I know that's not the case with all lateral entry teachers. Sometimes there are some really good teachers that come in as lateral entry.
I do feel that it kind of sucks that there are people out there that going into lateral entry right out of college. They decided to major in something else to avoid having to take block 1 and II. I don't think it's fair at all that these people only have to take a few classes to get the degree and we have to go through all the classes. I know we are benefited from it but it still makes me mad. I mean if it is that easy to do that then why isn't everyone doing that?

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:29 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]