View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 social class impact on education 
All-star
All-star

What ever social class you may consider yourself and your family to be in, do you feel that your education has been influenced by it?

Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not sure if I would say that my education was impacted by my social class or not. I think I went to a pretty middle class school. I do know that there was another school in my town that was considered the "rich" school. It was in a nice part of town and students that lived in that part of town went to that school. My school was just a middle class school that everyone who lived in the country went to. I feel I got a good education though and wouldn't have wanted to go to any other school.
:)

Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I went to middle class schools throughout my school career, so I'm not sure if my education was affected by my social class or not because all I've known is middle class education. There was one school that was considered to be a "lower class" elementary school that I heard about as a child, but I never really thought of it. There was a "rich" high school in my county, but my friends who went there said it was no different from the school that I went to. I think that I have received a good education from the schools that I've attended.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I went to the rich high school in my school district, being that we had the biggest population and the newest school at the time. My high school offered AP classes as well as developmental classes most subjects and we had a nicer school in comparision to the 3 other schools that were 800 people at most and thirty years older building wise. The other schools offered less diverse classes and usually only had mixed regular and honors and AP classes due the lack of students who wanted to take them and lack of space for all the classes to meet. The other major difference in our school was the differences in economic status between the students. My school held most of the children of teachers, adminstration, and generally parents with more money and/or social influence as opposed to other schools.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:01 pm

I also attended middle class schools throughout my school years. To my knowledge all the schools in my area where middle class. I have never heard some one call another school in my area higher class or lower class.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I attended what some would consider a "rich" high school, but it was very diverse. By this, I mean that it was probably 60% black. Because I attended this school, I was offered more AP classes and extracurricular programs such as orchestra, drama, and swimming. I am not saying that my high school was better than others in the area, but I had more options.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I wasn't planning on replying to this topic, but it seems that I had a unique experience. My county only had one high school, a very small rural school made up almost entirely of working class families. The worst thing about it was the lack of encouragement to go out of the working class. We were encouraged to go to community colleges, not universities. The school refused to offer AP classes, although they did offer distance learning classes for college credit. There was this overpowering attitude that we could not compete with other schools. While at college, I have discovered that my education was actually just as good as from any other school. This inferiority complex kept the school and its students from pushing to achieve better things.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There wasn't much difference in the schools in my county. The school I attended offered all the classes that the other schools did even though we were considered by others to be the "redneck school" I don't feel that my school class coming from middle class had anything to do with my education.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have attended a middle class school all my life. I would say that my middle and high school years some what effected by this. Because of that, I had the oppertunity to take AP classes, and had access to computers anytime. I have heard of some people that didn't, and I couldn't imagine what that school would have been like.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that my social class had some affect on my education. Like Mary said, there was only one high school in my county so, I didn't have much of a choice. Class ranged from poor, working class to upper-middle class in the school so at least there was a lot of diversity. The thing that I believe affected my education was the lack of certain resources that I hear other people talk about. I think our high school only offered about 5 AP classes which I think could have made a huge difference. I feel that I came away with a well-rounded education, but if I had been brought up in a wealth area I believe I would have had more access to knowledge. The drop-out rate in my high school is overwhelming and I know that a significant factor concerning this situation is due to social class.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that most everyone's education is influenced by their social class. Usually the common round the table discussions differ dramatically from a lower class family to a upper class. I feel that I grew up in a middle class family. No one in my family had ever gone to college, so not much was said about grades, but this made me push myself that much harder. My parents cared, but they never pushed me to do anything I didn't want to. Maybe if I was in a more well to do class, that I wouldn't have pushed myself so hard, or maybe I would've tried even harder.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have lived in a couple different social classes and have attended many different school districts. My real family always encouraged me to get away from the poor and middle class way of life. They wanted me to become a successful business woman. My adopted folks encouraged me to do anything successfully. I guess I ended up choosing horse training as a my trade, but I would consider teaching a trade too. So, social class did not truely effect me, but I can understand how it can effect an education especially with kids growing up similarly to Mary and Ashley.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it's almost inevitable that your social class affects the type of education you recieve. I know the high school I attended was wealthier than others in the area, giving students a greater opportunity to take a variety of classes. We had excellent technology resources available at all times. Students had the opportunity to run their own newscast whereas the technology was available for other school systems. Your social class also affects the resources you have available at home to complete school assignments and pursue other educational opportunities.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to say yes, for the simple fact that my parents, especially my mother, valued education even though she only had a two year degree from a business program that her job had paid for. I thus was told that I needed a good education so that I didn't end up in a dead end job (like the one that my father had). I was made to feel that if I too didn't get a good job, and to do that I needed to go to school, I would not provide a good living situation for my family.

I feel like some of my friends didn't share the same value of education since they didn't come to school on a regular basis and didn't do their homework or study for tests. We were and still are Middle Class (where I'm from) but the majority of my friends were lower middle or even upper lower class. I followed the patterns of the upper-class kids when it came to studying and such. I had friends from all over the SES range because of athletics and the class track that I chose.

Class influenced me partially, fear probably impacted me more.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:34 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]