View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 At what age is labeling appropriate? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading the article about the Indian child being labeled a slow learner in kindergarten. I have heard of all the negative effects of lableling and wandering at what age do you think a child is old enough to be labeled?

Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Probably never. It seems like one of the goals of the class is for us to open our minds as teachers and get past all that. Now, that's not to say that the schools we go to work in everyday will ever come to that conclusion, but maybe it's something we can each decide for ourselves. Labeling is limiting, and I don't want to limit, I want to expand.

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm trying to alter my language with regards to identifying students' rate and style of learning. We all learn differently and will hopefully teach differentle. Gosh, at the kindergarden level how can children be labled as slow learners, they have only been at it for for a small amount of time in relation to how long it takes to acqurie knowlledge. You take a child that is labeled a slow learner because he can't grasp a concept but let's (as educators) look at how we are teaching students. Perhaps this students is having a hard time because of the way the information is presented to him. This same "slow learner" student may excel when the information is taught in a different way?

Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i would say around 4th or 5th grade. at some point in a child's education, they must realize whether they are up to pace, behind, or ahead

Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In special education, no child is learning disabled until 2nd grade due to the fact that a child must be at least a grade and 1/2 behind. However, there are early reading intervention programs that are targeted specially at slower readers and teach rules and pronouncations in a organized, rigid manner to get readers back up to speed.

I'm not sure how much reading instruction and remedial work other majors get but statistically speaking, by third grade if a child isn't on his reading level there's a good chance he'll never be on reading level at least with the current standards in education.

As for the labeling issue as slow learners, a majority of kindergarteners have already had a year of schooling in pre-school whether preschool be at a child-care center or at Head-Start or some other program in the school system.

This is a major problem for those who just enter school the first day in kindergarten and it's their first day.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:52 pm

I would agree that a child should never be labeled, because as Susie stated we should look at how the child was being taught. I have had to take a class over at the college level; the second time with a different teacher I passed and walked away with Alot of knowledge were the first semester I took the class I learned absolutely nothing. I agree it depends on the child's learning style, and the ability of the teacher.

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think children should be labeled at any age. If the children do get labeled, I think that it is up to the parents on whether or not they pursue the label. Also, I think that it should be up to the parents on whether or not their children should be labeled unless there is something severley wrong with the child's learning. At that point I feel like the teachers should step in and mention it to the parents if it hasn't been discussed.

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For a teacher to label a child in Kindergarten is wrong i think. The teacher has no way of knowing in his first year of school how he is going to progress. The only time you can actually say a child is behind is when he gets to second grade. You would be able to tell the readng level of a child and how he or she is progressing. Then you would be able to help the child effectively. I think labeling is wrong. Sometimes, teachers are wrong when they give out labels to students.

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totaly agree that labeling is a bad idea at any age. I can understand how some very intelligent kids might get stamped with a label that they can never remove just because of their dissinterest in one class, or a problem relating to a teacher. If we expect alot of our kids they will usually preform better. If we tell them that they cannot even compete with "Smarter" kids by seperating them then many will accept this fate for the rest of their lives. Labeling isnt fair.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have mixed feelings concerning labeling. Everyone has said some things that I agree with. I believe that labeling a child at any age can hinder his or her learning ability through the evidence of the self-fulfilling prophecy, but if there is indeed a situation where the child needs extra help or has a real difficulty grasping certain concepts or ideas then I think they deserve the right to be told. Knowing that you have a learning disability or other problem can give power; if you know what's causing you to struggle then you can do something about it!

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:36 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]