View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 The mythical african male 
All-star
All-star

The article "The Mythical African Male", brought to mind some issues that i studied in my African American history class about how sterotypes such as the ones mentioned in this article can still be seen and used today. Do you think that these sterotypes still exist today and that Africans are still depicted as a "Sambo"or a "Brute" . Do you have any examples of when or where you've seen or heard this classification used?

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the roles still exist but aren't used by name. However, I'm not sure if we've gotten so used to the roles we don't see them and they've been adopted or if they've been redefined.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the most common African-American male sterotype still alive and well today is the Black Rapist. This stereotype dates way back to the days of slavery. For you girls: how many times have you clutched your purse, walked faster, or chosen a different route because of an oncoming black male? I don't mean to stay that if you have ever done those things you are a hateful racist, but it is just something to mindful of.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:57 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]