View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 The mythical african male 
All-star
All-star

The article "The Mythical African Male", brought to mind some issues that i studied in my African American history class about how sterotypes such as the ones mentioned in this article can still be seen and used today. Do you think that these sterotypes still exist today and that Africans are still depicted as a "Sambo"or a "Brute" . Do you have any examples of when or where you've seen or heard this classification used?

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:05 pm
All-star
All-star

sorry, somehow it posted the topic twice :?: :?

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hate it when I go somewhere and I happen to meet a black person at a public door and they give me a dirty look because I feel like they are expecting me to be rude. I smile at most anybody in public and in crowded doorways because I do not feel the need to be rude. I hate when I am in that same situation and I hold the door for a black person and they look surprised. I hold the door for any damn person! I know that it happens. I can feel it. I have black friends who have told me they have felt surprised when every once in a while an old white yuppie holds the door open for them.

:x

Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yes, those stereotypes are still very prevalent today.
i dont think people do it on purpose per se, but it's something that has been engrained in our heads.
i'm the most anti-racist, pro-civil rights person in the world, but sometimes every once in a while, i'll find myself accidently walking a little farther from an African American who fits that stereotype (tall, corn rows, baggy clothes, etc). i hate that i do that unconsciously sometimes, but its something that has been taught to us by society.
generations from now, that wont exist anymore.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone that the myths and stereotypes persists today, but hurray for us for being aware and dedicated to changing them!! Don't underestimate how helpful careful self-examination and awareness can be!

I just wanted to include an optimistic entry, because I'm proud of us for discussing, listening and changing. And just think about how many people we can reach when we become teachers :D

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:10 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]