View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Fear 
Site Admin

Here is the quote by Hermann Goering about the effect of fear that I told you I'd post:

"Of course the people don't want war... That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
-- Hermann Goering, Adolf Hitler's Deputy Chief and Luftwaffe Commander, at the Nuremberg trials, 1946 from "Nuremberg Diary" by G M Gilbert

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism..."

In my opinion, isn't this what happened after 9/11 and the events leading up to the Iraq war? I remember listening to Dan Rather recently, on npr talking about how there was not enough questioning, by the media, in regards to the President's presumptions and causes for going to war. I remember hearing how a young boy, after 9/11, was not in favor of flying the American flag outside his home and, as a result the local paper printed his address and he received death threats along with a multitude of American flags.
When you are held in a state of fear you are willing then, to do whatever it takes to eliminate what threatens you. And if the government is constantly sending out the possibilities of being attacked by any number of sources, the media is going to pick up on that and so what's the message The People are going to receive?

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

that is a pretty shocking quote in the context of our current enemy the terrorists. It is amazingly easy for the media to play to the feeling of fear in people especially when the government does things like release terror warning levels that are arbitrary and baseless. I can see how there could be a smog, or pollen warning level because these are quantities that can be directly mesaured and quantified, but different levels of terror alert are insane. Terrorists use surprise as their strongest weapond, and if the government knows about a plot they should try to stop it rather than telling us that today the terror warning has been moved to violet or whatever.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that fear is an amazing way to get a group of unwilling people to follow your lead. My friend and I were talking about this the other day, and we don't appreciate feeling helpless and uninformed. We feel like the government is keeping the American people scared and stupid: raising the arbitrary terror alerts to scare us and then not telling us the truth about what they're doing. I don't appreciate being led into a war that I don't support, but I'm not sure what we can do at this point...any suggestions?

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]