View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:43 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 year round schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Eh, I looked to see if there were any other threads about this topic and I did not see any, but I apologize ahead of time if one was already created.

What does everyone think about year round schooling?
I think it's a wonderful idea and I really hope it is implemented sometime in the future.

I don't know how you guys felt about this while you were in grade school, but by the time July rolled around, I was starting to get quite bored with summer vacation and would have been happy to get back to school again (provided that the rest of the break be moved to a different time of year).
There's no point to having one long break in the summer -- spread the days out and that way students will have mini-breaks all year round.
Not to mention that they are sure to retain the content they learned better.
I remember taking a foreign language and knowing quite a bit of vocabulary and grammar in May, but then forgetting virtually all of it by August.

Discuss.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I was never in a year round elementary school, but my cousin was, and she didn't like it. From what I have heard from her I don't agree with it either. For one, middle and high schools are all on the traditional school schedule, so why have year round schools for elementary children when that structure and set up will be taken away from them once they hit middle school. I think that children would have a hard time transitioning from year round school to traditional school. Also, I think that children get burned out because they are continually in school. They go to school for nine weeks straight and then are out for three weeks and they repeat the cycle again. The children only get a four week summer vacation and then they are right back in school. As a child I loved having long summer vacations because I got to play outside all of the time and go on family vacations. It was just so nice to have a long break from school. I think that children who go to year round schools don't get that. I feel that children need a break like that because they need time to calm down and enjoy their vacation. Also, I believe that children forget what they learned in one nine week period because of their three week break. The lessons get build on each other because children forget things. Maybe its because I went to a traditional school, I don't know, but I wouldn't want to go to a year round school.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree and disagree with Jon. I have heard that teachers and students like it better. However, I think it is hard if you are a working parent to find child care for 2-3 weeks at a time when school is not in session. I think getting alot of breaks would help me focus more as a teacher, but on the other hand, I think getting out for the entire summer would be great. It takes a couple of months off from going to school all year. I hate the thought of summer school and never even did it when I was in college. So for both sides, I think there are good and bad things.

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:38 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]