View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 What made you decide to become a teacher??? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think to become a teacher you have to have something that has touched your life in some way, good or bad. That is when one decides they want to go into this profession. This job is more for the children than for the money and we all know that. So what made you to finally decide to become a teacher?????

Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought that I wanted to be a teacher while I was in HighSchool, but was offered a job that was hard to turn down before I graduated. Two years later I had realized that I still wanted to be a teacher, and began taking night classes at a local Community College, just minutes from work. I completed my assocaites and saved enough money for the first year of college life at a university, and applied to App. Less than two months after I was excepted to App, I quit and began to prepare my self to become a teacher. I spent hours in my advisor's office (at CCC), and she convienced me that I would not be sorry, and I don't have any regrets as of yet.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I realized that I wanted to be a teacher in first grade. My first grade teacher was awesome. She's one of those teachers that you never forget and always go back to see whenever you can. She always expressed how much she loved us and cared for our learning. I always noticed how much she loved helping children learn, which is why people become teachers. I wanted to become a teacher so that I could help people learn. Thats the most important part of being a teacher.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think this is a great question that everyone in the forum could add too.

I realized that I was a natural at teaching when I started training horses and dogs around the farms I grew up on. Even at four and five years old, I was working with animals and learning from them and in turn, teaching them to do what I wanted them to do.

When I started to get good at playing fiddle, I had people ask me to teach them how to play. At first I responded, "Well, I am not a teacher and I do not know what to teach you." But I eventually gave it a try. I had beginners learning to play fiddle by ear quickly. In an half hour lesson, the average beginner could learn to play an entire tune by ear, then all they would have to do is practice it when I was not around.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have not always known that I wanted to be a teacher. In high school I was certain that I wanted to go into the medical field. My junior year in high school I had an opportunitity to go to a summer program dealing with careers in the medical profession. After this, I knew teaching was the way to go. I did an internship my senior year and loved it. I have since substituted in different schools, and it just reinforces my career choice.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Being a teacher was probably the last thing on my mind during my high school years, but during the summer I was always employed as a camp counselor, which I loved immensely. It wasn't until I was out of high school and traveling around as an AmeriCorps member, experiencing worlds that I had known nothing about during my 17 years in small town, NC. I learned so much about other people and places through working with them to rebuild after disasters or by tutoring their kids. I learned so much about the way history has shaped our land and our people. I wanted to share everything I learned with others. I kept thinking to myself that if kids back home could see everything I had (not very much at the wise old age of 18) in Texas and Colorado and South Dakota, if they could see people working together to get something done, to improve a community, then they might collectively pick up their heads from the desks (which is where mine was firmly planted) and start paying attention to life. I just know that there's nothing else that I could even imagine doing than sharing the world with kids, trying to help them empathize with someone they've never met halfway across the world or who died a long time ago for a half-forgotten cause. I hope everyone has at least a little bit of this sentiment in their hearts. The world could use a little more empathy.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had the same opportunity as Leslie...I was definately going into the medical field, but after job shadowing I knew I should go for my first love...teaching! But my decision also runs a little deeper. I only had a couple of teachers that I loved, a few that were tolerable, and most made be miserable. I long to teach so children won't have to go through life having never experience an absolutely wonderful teacher! :D Also, my sister is an elementary school teacher and she's my bestfriend and my inspiration. I want to be just like her because her students light up when she walks into the room and they truly love her. She's wonderful!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have wanted to becoming a teacher for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it has a lot to do with growing up with both my parents being teachers. I don't think this is the only reason though because living with teachers you hear all the bad things about it as well as the good. Nothing is sugar coated. Having two parents in education I was lucky to have some really good teachers. I've had teachers that I look at and want to be just like them and of course I've had teachers I've looked at and said "Please don't ever let me be like that."
When I was little I would play school forever in my bedroom with everything and anything my mom would bring home for me. I guess I just feel like teaching is what I was meant to do. :)

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have wanted to becoming a teacher for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it has a lot to do with growing up with both my parents being teachers. I don't think this is the only reason though because living with teachers you hear all the bad things about it as well as the good. Nothing is sugar coated. Having two parents in education I was lucky to have some really good teachers. I've had teachers that I look at and want to be just like them and of course I've had teachers I've looked at and said "Please don't ever let me be like that."
When I was little I would play school forever in my bedroom with everything and anything my mom would bring home for me. I guess I just feel like teaching is what I was meant to do. :)

Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In highschool I had a really bad art teacher. So now that I am in college I have the chance to get a degree in art education and to try to make a difference, or to be a better teacher. I also love to teach, it's all I want to do.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Throughout high school, like some of us, being a teacher is not what crossed my mind. But after being experienced in the field that I thought I wanted to do I knew right away that wasn't for me. So I followed my true love, children. I was a summer camp leader for the summer after my I graduated high school and I knew right away that the younger children are the ones that I wanted to teach right away.

Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:16 pm
All-star
All-star

The option of becoming a teacher was always in the back of my head but I was a part of HOSA (Health Occupation Students Of America) in high school and I loved it. I thought for sure I wanted to become a pediatrician. My goal was to make a big difference in kids lives. The turning point came however when I went to surprise my mom at school. I couldn't help but see the difference she made in her student's lives. I also saw how some teachers would simply "write off" students they didn't particularly care about for one reason or another. Looking back, I realized, besides the occasional shot or perscription, my Pediatrician didn't nearly affect my life as much as my teachers. Teachers have the power to make or break a student's love for a particular subject as well as make or break the student's confidence in themselves. So that's why I decided to become a middle school teacher... :D

Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I actually never even considered teaching until midway through my freshman year.
In high school, I LOVED history, and when I got to college and began taking business classes, I realized how much I missed taking history courses.
So it began to occur to me that maybe I should be a history major and teach in public schools, that way I could be doing something that I love my entire life instead of being trapped in some cubicle.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:54 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 13 posts ]