View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 If you could tell them something... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If there was one important thing you could tell to a high school student that you did not know at the time, what would you tell them? What have you learned, specifically about education and learning how to learn, that you want to pass on?

I tell kids that learning can extend to personal interests because when I was in school I did not like learning the cirriculm. I thought all learning was the same as school. I did not realize I could teach myself and study the things I wanted to know about. :wink:

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would tell my high school students that they will survive. I'm careful what 'words of wisdom' i try to share with students because so often they don't want to hear your words - they don't really believe that any of us have experienced what they are experiencing. I would just encourage my students (in the face of frustration, etc...) and remind them that one day they will graduate and leave high school behind -

high school is a hard place to be... sometime they just need a little encouragement.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I would tell high school students to not dwell on things that happen to them in the past, present, and future. I would encourage them to look ahead to what lies for them in the future and not let what happened in high school to hold them back or make them feel down. High school is something everyone has to go through, and everyone makes it.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would tell them to not just go through the motions. I wished I had absorbed more material, instead of just memorizing it for the test. I would tell them to enjoy every minute of high school and being young, because even though we are still young in college, I look back and see how much older we are now.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think I would tell high school students to work hard then because it will help you in college. I wish I had taken some of the classes in high school that they offered to get college credit. I didn't take any of these classes because I didn't want to have to work that hard. It would have been much easier then having to take those classes here though and it would have helped me graduate on time. Take advantage of the things your high school offers.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 pm
All-star
All-star

As cliche as this is, I don't think I would tell the high schoolers anything. Instead, I would listen-

It's easy to forget what a stressful, confusing, busy time high school is, and sometimes the easiest way to help is just to listen. They need to know that they'll get through it, so instead of giving them unrequested advice, just being there to listen and support them is a wonderful way to make them feel secure, while giving them the confidence to realize that they can do it. I want to instill my students with a sense of ability and make them feel like they can do it. I think that listening to their problems and assuring them that you have confidence in them goes a long way. "I know it's hard, but you're smart and hard-working and I have no doubt in my mind that you can do it" makes them feel confident, and I think that's the best way to encourage a student.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:29 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]