View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Prom and sexual orientation 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With the issue of homosexuality on the rise, there are going to be high school kids wanting to take the same sex to the prom. How do you feel this should be handled, and will be handled in schools?

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't see why they should not be allowed to attend prom. They have just as much of a right as anyone else. It's not going to hurt anyone to see two girls or two guys dancing on the floor.
Another question that I have heard brought up in the past is whether or not they should be allowed to have their own prom. And that I do not agree with.

Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If they didn't make a big deal about it, I dont see why not. I know some of my best friends couldn't find dates so they went as a group of friends or together. I do not agree with it, but if they were civilized about it, it woudn't be a problem.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I have mixed feelings concerning this topic. I don't agree with it, but also I don't agree with how people like that are treated. We should love and support them, but to me that doesn't mean that I agree with it because in my faith it's wrong. As long as nothing goes wrong I don't see why not, but for marriage rights, I don't think they should be allowed because marriage is between a man and woman, but that doesn't mean that I don't like them. I have some friends who are homosexual and I love them to death, but I don't agree with them.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that the concerns surrounding this issue will be dealt with differently in rural and urban settings. In my small hometown I'm sure, no matter what ,that a very big deal would be made. My opinion is a lot like Amanda's...personally, I believe that homosexuality is wrong, but to treat them differently as human beings is also wrong. It's a hard line and I'm sure in the next few years that we'll definately have to deal with this issue.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Jon in that, if their are a pair of same sexed students who want to attend the prom together, by all means they should have the right and, hopefully, the understanding from most. For a school to thry and gain an understanding of homosexual situations, especially at a high school, I think shows a lot of compassion and growth towards such differences.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Gay kids are already going to proms together. It just isn't happening here in the bible belt, (which I do not even consider North Carolina the bible belt, but it is reallyh close). This area of the country is so conservative that issues like this are supressed, but else where, it is happening if it hasn't already been dealt with.

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Ashley completely. I am also from a small town and it would be made a big deal no matter what. I also believe that homosexuality is wrong, but treating them differently is wrong. I don't see how they could be stopped from going to the prom. If a school tried, I'm sure the person could take it to court for discrimination!

Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that everybody should be able to live a life that they find enjoyable and fulfilling even if i dont live mine the same way. As long as no body is hurt by a lifestyle choice then nobody else should have any problem with it. Homosexuality is real and it doesnt hurt anyone, its not the way i have chosen to live my life, but i feel that it is wrong to deny homosexuals any right or privelage afforded to heterosexuals. I think also that it is a shame that so many states chose to change the wording regarding the definition of marriage so that it specifically excludes homosexuality.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:26 am
All-star
All-star

i agree with Elisabeth that as long as they didnt make a big deal about it then it shouldnt be a problem. While this behavior isnt something that i agree with they should still be allowed to participate and go with whoever.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think that it should be a big deal. As long as the parent has talked to the child, then they should not have to worry with them encountering a gay couple. I do not agree with the issue of gay/lesbian relationships but everyone should have their freedom. The parent should be in control of the situation before their child encounters it.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not so sure who we mean when we say "they" [If they didn't make a big deal about it, I dont see why not][/quote] in my opinion, the straight people, my self included, are usually the ones who seem to make things of this nature into a big deal, calling attention to it. Gays and Lesbians should be able to attend school functions, like the prom, in the capacity that straight couples are, yes it may make some people uncomfortable, but so does seeing two straight people all over one another. As long as everyone remains respectful all could maintain happiness.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:10 pm
All-star
All-star

It's hard to say exactly how I feel about the issue of homosexuality. I have to say I agree with Ashley and Abby on their viewpoints about the issue. Religiously I believe homosexuality is wrong however it's not my place to condemn those who choose that lifestyle. As a Christian, I believe it's my responsibility to set strong examples not to make others feel worthless.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it's very important to remember when we use words that they infer meaning. Several of us in this thread, on both sides of the issue, have used the word "choose" and "choice" as if being gay or lesbian were actually a decision that people are making. I think most homosexuals would agree that if it were a choice, they never would have made it because of the persecution they face everyday. Remember, the only choice a gay or lesbian person makes every day is whether to live openly and proudly, as the person God made them (and as all of us do every day), or whether to hide their true nature, hurting themselves irrevocably in a way we could hardly begin to understand.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is interesting that many of these posts put a condition on a same sex couple attending prom together. Many posts included things like "if they are civilized..." - - we don't put these qualifying or conditional statements for other couples that go. And we all know that there is a lot of 'stuff' that goes down at prom.

I think as educators we need to evaluate how we are applying standards to behaviors of kids that fit in certain categories. I may not agree with the homosexual lifestyle - but I also want to struggle to find a freedom and balance for ALL students in my classroom. It is a hard struggle - but i think it is important.

So yes, go to prom. enjoy and fun and be safe :)

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]