View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Music in the Classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I knew a math teacher that would always play quiet music in the background during tests or at-desk work. In class we have already talked a little about how music can help students focus in a classroom. When I study, I know that when I listen to music, I don't study quite as well but it increases the time I can study by about 500% so it helps in the long run. Is music in the classroom always appropriate, never appropriate, sometimes appropriate? Remember if you play music on a stereo, everyone has to listen to it. If you are going to play music for everyrone, how will you decide what kind of music to play and when? Will you allow students to bring in CD players and headphones? Lemme know what you think

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm going to be teaching young children, so I like the idea of setting a calm, soothing tone in the classoom by playing classical music during an independent reading time. If I play the same type of music during this mellow time of the day, it's my hope that the children will eventually corrolate the soothing music with reading time, and I won't have to spend valuable class minutes getting them to calm down. I think that children thrive with routine and familiarity, and this is one more way to set a positive, relaxing tone for our classroom.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Morgan. I will be teaching elementary age children, and I think that music will play a big part in the day. I will probably play music in the morning when they arrive to wake them up, then also play calming music during quiet times.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:13 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]