View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 fitting in at ASU 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

in regards to a hope unseen, i'm curious to hear your thoughts on this question - - do you feel like you fit in here at ASU? Why or Why not?

As an RA, I have spent the last few years helping freshman transition into college from high school. Some have lasted the whole four years and others lasted a month. What keeps freshman here at ASU when its hard to find your place and homesickness kicks in? [excluding of course money and parents]

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think I have ever felt like I fit in more than at ASU. I think that has a lot to do with the kind of people that go to school here. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but I have found that most of the folks that go here are pretty open-minded and accepting. I think that most people would also agree that Boone in general is one of the friendliest towns there is. I also found a great group of friends at my job at Outdoor Programs (a division of University Recreations). In addition to that, I think that the local churches go way out of their way to try and be accepting and nice.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:41 pm
Site Admin

What, then, did you think of the church reader-board on 421 just as you come in to town, (and just as school was starting) that said, "MUHAMMAD: ISLAM’S IMMORAL PROPHET.â€

Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that Boone is a town of such polarity.. I mean, just what Gayle and Justin are talking about. We have what many small towns with universities are dealing with right at our fingertips! The native Boonies and the imported students are obviously going to embrace different ideas and make one feel very differently. I totally hear what Justin is saying. The young community of folks I know here couldn't be more wonderful. If I got married today, I'd have at least 8 bridesmaids. I feel connected, accepted, and very loved among the people I've been so fortunate to meet here in Boone. But I also hear what Galye's talking about. The two types of Boone folk (and I know there are many, many more than two) are really juxtaposed, especially in a place like Boone that is very country and sheltered. Jeez, the first house I lived in was back off 194 in this side of Potter Holler and I will never forget those gun-blasting idiots threatening to kill my dog! But it's just something we have to deal with. I think it's a small price to pay for living in such a beautiful place among really good-hearted friends. (Of course, my dog didn't get shot, and I don't worship Mohammed.)

Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel completely comfortable here at ASU. Like Justin said i dont think that ive ever fit in so well in an educational setting. As for Dr. Turners question about the church sign, that makes me angry. That church should have its sign tore down..ok maybe not that drastic but someone should seriously talk to them. Even if you believe thats true, which is ok if thats what you wanna believe but why would you be that rude and thoughtless to other peoples feelings. If they were trying to send a message to freshmen the one that i would get from it is, i sure ant going to go to that church even if i believed that way because they seem a little off. Where is their lessons about God is love and love everyone even the Muslims??? maybe they need to take a closer look at their beliefs!

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think learning communities really help with keeping kids in school. Going through Watauga College, I found some of my best friends. Also it depends on how well kids make a really good friend in Boone. It seems that once you have just one really good friend, it's really easy to make a lot more and feel more connected to the community and campus.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At first, I did not really fit in here. I was ready to go home within the first week of school. No one from my high school decide to come up to ASU and I felt all alone. My mother talked me into waiting out the semester and I am glad that I did. I was able to make friends and have enjoyed my college experience. If you feel like you fit in and make friends, then you will enjoy your college experience. I know that I have so far.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel pretty comfortable at ASU. The population of the school wasn't exactly what I expected, but I feel pretty much at home here. I was surprised that Justin said he thinks Boone is a friendly town. I feel like the locals really hate the college students, in many cases. Just a trip to Wal-Mart shows me all the dirty looks and perhaps disdain. (Although, if you go there during Thanksgiving or Christmas break when there aren’t any college students around, the locals are very nice.) My mechanic here is a great example. I go talk to him in my mountain accent, and he gives me great service, often with lots of freebies. When my friend goes there, who has a northern accent, he gets the list prices on everything and usually leaves discouraged. ASU is generally friendly and welcoming, but the town and the county can alienate “furriners.â€

Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Right off, the first day of moving into the dorms I meet tons of students that have been my friends ever since. So I never really had the chance to feel like I didn't fit in. For many others though I know they had some difficulty. As students I think it's important for us to make everyone feel welcome, seeing how it can make or break your school year.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]