View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Inner city, anyone wanna come?! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that throughout high school, I was exposed to many movies like Dangerous Minds, about teaching in inner city school systems. I was talking with one of my professors about his experience in an inner city school and I was wondering what you guys think.

Would you teach at an inner city school? Is that the environment you are looking for?

What about other teaching environments? overseas - teaching english as a second language?

For me, I plan to spend two years teaching overseas - and one of my preferences is that I want to be in a large city. It will differ from the inner cities of America - but then again, maybe it won't.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think what scares me and many other potential teachers about teaching in inner city schools is the commitment. I would love to at least try to teach in an inner city school but if I hate it or feel threatened, etc. I am pretty much stuck for at least a semester and maybe an entire school year. That is just the nature of the beast with teaching i guess. If there were some sort of safety net I think that more people would be likely to sign on and probably stay. The problem is actually getting them there in the first place.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that teaching in an inner city school would be both more demanding and rewarding than working in a middle-class school. Because it requires so much enthusiasm and commitment, I think that teaching in an inner city school would be more practical for me while I'm young. I think that it would be an enormous demand of my time, but I believe that inner city schools could use the optimism and spunk of a new teacher. It's definitely in my plans!

Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not saying that I would ever rule out the possibility of teaching at an inner city school. To me at this point in my life I dont think I have the experience needed to take on such a task. However in the future I think it would be worth considering.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teaching at an inner city school would be a big step for me. I come from a rural town so I have never really been exposed to that. I think that it would be challenging for me. I would feel more comfortable teaching at an rural area school than at an inner city school. But if the opportunity came up I would at least consider it.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I grew up in an rural area out in the country, I've always wanted to teach in my hometown area. I love the country and I don't think that I would be able to live in a city because I'm so use to the rural setting. But if the oppurtunity crossed my path, I may do it just to be able to experience something new and different.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Not to sound silly, but I was wondering what an inner city school. I've only ever been in small school systems where you knew most of your class.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I am completely psyched about the possibility of teaching in an inner city school. I went to school in a small town. I actually grew up on a dirt road, but I've lived in cities since high school and I just think that's where the greatest need is in our country. I know there are some dirt poor rural schools in need of whatever help they can get, but I really feel called to the city by the diversity I hope to find there and the challenge it presents and i think maybe those kids are hungrier (for knowledge, not food) than rural kids, even poor ones, and that appeals to me as well. So, yes, I want to, at least initially, try my hand in an inner city school. I'm headed to Denver after student teaching, but its an open road. . .

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would rather teach in a smaller school system. I like the atmosphere of being laid back and easy going. In the inner city schools, the teacher is being uptight and nervous about teaching diverse individuals. I admire people that are able to teach in those inner city systems. I would enjoy teaching overseas and think that I might try that. It seems like it would be interesting and a worthwhile experience.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it would be a rewarding experience to teach in an inner city school. I am from a small town, so it would be different for me, but it is something I would like to do.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You guys only mention worries about if you taught in an inner city school, but in reality the same things could and have happened in small rural schools too. Just earlier this year the middle school that I attended had such a case where a student brought a gun to school with suspected intentions of shooting his teacher, he actually fired two shoots into some lockers before he was tackled by the DARE officer who was there at the time. My nephew was just four classrooms down the hall and heard everything transpire. I just bring this up because I feel that as teachers we subject and open ourselves up to a lot of things and violence from students is one of the most frightening to me. The dangers are not just in the inner city, they are often where we least expect!

To reply to your question, I think that the comforts of a small school system fit my personality the best, though I have had thoughts of looking at a position in which I could make the largest impact.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:40 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]