View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Emphasis on the World 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In our classrooms today there will be a diversity that is new and multiplying with the mobility of our society. In Charlotte this month, my mom has had 10 children from Africa added to her Children's Ministry. There will be ethnic, social and racial differences and similiarities in your classroom. How will you bring the world to a class of students that may or may not represent the world?

I have just finished a unit plan for a 10th grade english class... my focus was poetry by young adults around the world. One of the books I worked with was a book of poetry from authors in the middle east. English is an easy subject to bring the world and many cultures into - if you let go of the general text book.

How could you do it with your class - in your subject area?

Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As of yet, I have not had my own classroom so maybe I will change my mind but it seems to me that a good way to incorporate different cultures would be to be conscientious but not amused. What I mean is that you should make an effort to get picture books (I am elem. ed.) from other cultures and featuring people of different races. However, I think it is important not to make other cultures a novelty by saying something along the lines of "This is how crazy Asians celebrate Christmas, isn't that weird?" Of course that's an extreme example but I have noticed more than once in classrooms that other cultures have been a source of entertainment more than education or enlightenment.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that consciously using books, posters, pictures, and activities that represent different cultures, ethnicities and races is an easy way to make your classroom inviting to everyone. It's hard to feel like an outsider in an environment that is unfamiliar, but seeing your custom or culture represented on a poster displayed in the room is an easy way to cultivate pride in the beautiful variety of your classroom.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my Social Studies Methods (Middle Grades) course with Dr. Jacobson, I recieved a multitude of game and materials that can be used to show a classroom where ever I teach how kids in Africa play the same games by using rocks and digging little holes in the ground or how by playing a game that requires all members to assemble an identical square by trading pieces without talking to show how we are globally dependent and that it is often difficult to communicate when we're out of the "norm" to us. I only hope that I can us the knowledge that I gained from his course and pass it on to the hundreds I will eventually teach.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:50 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]