View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Click here if you want to complain... 
All-star
All-star

I hate to get all pessimistic on everyone, but this class is about exploring all the aspects of teaching, even the negative ones...

So here's your chance to bitch. What have you seen teachers do that you hate and have vowed to never do in your own classroom? What do you hate about the profession itself? What's your reaction when you tell others that you're going to teach? If you need to get some gripes off your chest, this is your chance...have at it!

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I hate it when teachers give a big project or assignment worth a large grade, then take the rest of the semester to get it back to you. You've spent all that time working on it to get it done in the two weeks since it was assigned, it shoudl NOT take more than 2 weeks for you to get it back. I understand that the teahcer may have 30 to grade, and you only had one to make, but the teacher should know whats there, whats missing, and how many points are given for what beforehand. I have always sworn to make sure all my students get their tests back within a week at most, depending on the depth and detail, i will try to have them back the next day.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:15 pm
All-star
All-star

i hate it when teachers just give "busy work". Work that students learn absolutely nothing from but their punished if they dont turn it in. If were suppose to educate then why are we giving students stuff just to keep them busy from learning.
to answer your question about reactions when i tell people that im going to teach i think that makes me more angry than anything. Usually when i tell people they give me a sympathetic grin and say well you can go on to grad school and then you'll make more money or yikes thats susprising that you'd want to do something like that. Like teaching is a bad profession or something. It makes me angry that so many people base thier careers on the money that they can make and what they can get out of it for thier selves. People who are going to be teachers should be applauded for their deisre to go into such a unrespected field if for nothing else. While i dont say anything back to people when they are this rude i should start telling them how sorry i feel for them that they are eaten up with greed and the love of money and materialistic things! :x

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hate when teachers give you a huge assingment to do and then make it only a small percentage of your grade. You work for weeks on it and it's not worth all the time that you have put in it. I also do not like when teachers make participation a big part of your grade. I hate missing classes so I'm always there, but I don't like sharing my opinion infront of everyone. I get very shy infront of a lot of people. I listen to everyone talk and I absorb it, but I don't want to put my opinion out there.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would have to agree with Melissa about completing a huge assignment and it only being worth a small percentage of the final grade. I think as teachers we should take into account the amount of time that will be spent on the assignment before granting the percent of the grade that will depend of it.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess one of my biggest complaints would be about teaching styles. I hate it when teachers are telling you to make learning fun for students while they are lecturing you in a monotone for what seems like hours. Another pet peeve is turning in assignments and not getting them back.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:55 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]