View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 The SAT...something we all know about 
All-star
All-star

After reading "Behind the SAT" by Nicholas Lemann, I wanted to hear your reaction. Standardized tests are a part of our present educational system (and will soon be a big part of our own classrooms) but are they fair? Can the biases be overlooked as necessary side effects? Do the positives outweigh the negatives? Or, can you suggest a better solution? Will you use another form of testing in your classroom? Let me know!

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that the SAT's are unfair. Some students are good test takers, which means they probably wouldn't do well on the SAT, but that doesn't mean that they aren't equipped to learn on a college level. The SAT's should not be the only thing that people look at when looking at the college applications. Students can score badly on the SAT, and have the highest GPA in the school. Also since so much pressure is put on students to score well on the SAT because if they don't they won't get into college, which is the reason that they don't do well. Students realize the importance of the test and freak out once they've begun to take it, but that doesn't mean that they aren't smart and intellectual. As a society we need to be changing the reason for SAT's.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think most standardized tests were written orignally for all the schools that have adopted them. In addition, they're written for just a small segment of the students and as with all standardized testing, requires some group to fail to make it a valid test.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post sat
I agree with Beth. The standardized test are not written with all cultures in mind. They should not be designed to test students but to display to the teacher what the students already know. The test should be viewed as an assestment and not as a pass/fail school view.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Test bias comes from more places than we realize, last semester at a school that I was volunteering at, the prompt for the wrting test was to tell about their summer vacation. Some of those kids were from such a poor family they had never been on a vacation in their lives, how do they respond to the prompt?

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:21 pm
All-star
All-star

It's hard to make anything fair in today's society it seems. Someone always has the upper edge. It would be wonderful if the SAT worked as it was orginally intended too. The problem is no one can think of another to make things fair. It just comes down to shifting who has the upper hand. All students however need to be taught the "tricks of the trade" when taking the SAT. After students have been taught to take test a certain way all their life and than the SAT comes along and it's different. Your told instead of leave some blank if you can't make an educated guess. Students need to know these things.

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am growing to hate standardized testing. It is annoying when you are young and worse when you have to approach it as a teacher. I want to be one of the teachers that works hard and has students do all kinds of great learning experiences and then two weeks before the test prepares them for it. I refuse to sacrifice my students to the psychoness of testing. I understand it is necessary inthe system that is set up now, but i pray for a day when someone invents something better and more student friendly.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:37 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]