View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 equality for everyone????? 
All-star
All-star

last nights discussion about equality and can you say that you think everyones equal if you dont believe in gay and lesbian marriages did make me think and i was wondering what everyone else thought about it.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

one could argue that the only people who truly believe in full equality are communists, because they believe in an equal distribution of wealth.

but good question. i kind of think that you can be against gay marriage and still be for equality at the same time because you believe marriage is naturally confined to man and woman, although gay couples would miss out on key benefits.. so how can you possibly call that equal?

Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the question hinges on how you really define marriage. "Between a man and a woman" - - OK, does that mean solely recognized by God and Church or does that also bring with it recognition by governmental and secular institutions such as insurance companies and hospitals? If the Baptist Church doesn't want to allow its homosexual members to get married by its preachers, I have no problem with that. They've chosen membership in that organization of faith. BUT, I believe a segment of our population is being denied rights such as visitation, health coverage, and inheritance which are unquestioningly granted to straight partners. That seems like an injustice to me.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is really hard to say that you are against gay marriage, but for equality. By saying that you are against gay marriage, you are saying that those people are not equal to yourself or others. I think that its a tough topic and people could be somewhere in the middle about it!

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe in equality. If a person wants to be gay/lesbain, then they should have the right to express themselves freely. Each person has the right to live their own lives. Although I do not think that the rest of the society should be subjected to their way of life. They should keep their personal life privately and we should keep our personal life private.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Equality or Equity. I am not sure which I favor because equality to me says that we give everyone the same treatment, with equity on the other hand we often take things further to make sure that things and situations can be made equal. I think that equity is often what it takes to get the job done, and I do believe that gay and lesbian couples do deserve that same writes and privileges and it may require more than just equal treatment to accomplish this goal.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:32 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]