View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Sexual Identity and Teens 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am willing to take the plunge to help teenagers with the struggle of sexual identity, especially if I know they are not getting support, or positive knowledge and reinforcement at home. It seems scary to take on the roll of a parent when I do not yet have children.

What do you think? Will you aid a child in a sexual identity crisis or question or situation? Do think it is better if you simply send them to a guidance counselor? Will you have the time? Is it a liability?

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it depends on you and the child and how comfortable you are. Being there as a listener is probably the best thing anyone can do and even though you might not have the answers, it's a good start to helping.

Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Beth - listening is a great way to connect with your student while sending a message of support and acceptance. I think that letting your students talk about their problems is a great way for them to arrive at a solution themselves. Often, other people in their lives are too busy to listen, so having someone in whom they can confide is a blessing. If you don't say anything while they disclose their problems, they might talk themselves into a solution without you having to guide them at all. It's a great way for them to come up with an answer without you worrying about being liable for the outcome.

Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not sure if I am qualified to help the child with their problem. However as a teacher I feel that it is my job to look out for the best intrest of the chhild and try to understand what he/she is going through and be as supportive as I can..

Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At a time in their lives in which so many things are uncertain, we as teachers should be. We should provide support in whatever the situation and if we are not knowledgeable enough about it, it is our duty to find out or direct them to someone who can help them understand what is going on with their mind and body, emotionally and physically. I hope that I will have the confidence in my knowledge of Young Adolescent Development to help the student through their journey into adulthood. I am hesitant about my own personal feelings about the topic, but at the same time feel that I could be professional enough to aid the student in his/her time of need.

cs60119@appstate.edu

Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:16 pm
All-star
All-star

I think listening is definitely a good start as Beth pointed out. It really depends on the situation though. I would love to do all I could for the student, but I would be afraid to give the wrong advice seeming that I'm not as qualified as a professional in the field of development. I admit I've learned quite a lot about adolescents through my middle grades courses and their developmental needs but there is still so much to learn.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]