View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bullying 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With school violence and threats of destruction rampant in schools, where does the anger and resentment come from? Does it begin with a bully in elementary school? What preventions to we take in order to break the cycle of students who bully others and then the picked on students reach their breaking point and retaliate? Instilling compassion in the schools, that's my suggestion, what's yours?

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:11 pm
All-star
All-star

I was reviewing some of our reading assignments for our final exam, and I read something that I thought was both poignant and appropriate for your question. We always assume that girls are the ones whose behavior and performance suffer from gender stereotypes, but boys can also experience far-reaching behavior modifications. In Angela Phillips' article, she talks about how young boys experience the same fear and frustration that girls face, but girls have an outlet that is both appropriate and effective: crying. Boys on the other hand, can't shed their frustration through this natural response and instead resort to aggression and violence. If this trend of frustration leading to violence is accepted by society as an appropriate coping mechanism, young men never learn to communicate their fears. I think that this injustice toward the males of our society often leads to their aggressive outbursts, because the intense emotions they are unable to shed need to find an outlet.

In my classroom, I'm going to encourage the discussion of emotions and fears before they escalate into aggression. It's my (possibly naive) hope that my students will find healthy ways to express themselves, earning respect from their society and trust from me.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:37 am
All-star
All-star

Students need to be able to relieve built up tension or frustration throughout the day. The classroom can become a place for open discussion allowing students to relate to one another. I would love for students to feel comfortable enough to come and talk to me as a teacher. It's impossible to list all the possible reasons a student may be result to bullying, whether they are bullied at home to trying to be a show off. Instilling compassion among students and in the classroom would definitely make a difference....but how would you go about doing so?

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Elizabeth, students need to know they have a save place to go if they need to get their agreesions out. I also want my students to feel they can come talk to me if they ever have a problem. You never know if the problem starts at home or at school. You always have to be willing to listen to your students.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Elizabeth, students need to know they have a save place to go if they need to get their agreesions out. I also want my students to feel they can come talk to me if they ever have a problem. You never know if the problem starts at home or at school. You always have to be willing to listen to your students.

Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]