View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Are we snuffing out diversity in schools? 
All-star
All-star

One of the most interesting points brought out of the discussion of Ishamael was the comment about how our society says it values diversity, but yet we end up competing and snuff it out.

I wondered about this as its related to schools and to students. Is it all too common now for us to take the easy path and set up a template for how a student is to perform? Do we make it so hard on some that they have no way of competing - is this what has been happening for so many years and we're just now realizing it?

I appreciated the observation shared by Angela when she commented on testing and how it made her make more of an effort to see past the boy in her class who had "issues" that might make some say, that's just as good as he can do. That took a lot of guts to admit and I'd say there are others who appreciated your honesty, too, who've felt similar to you.

So, are we snuffing out diversity in schools through such winner take all competition? Jennifer

Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Teaching towards one type of test each year, and asking students to think like the test takers, definitely does not promote diversity. As a former fourth grade teacher, it was always tough to have to teach my students how to write by only using the accepted model of the writing test, even though they all had different styles. Teaching towards EOG's can also snuff out creativity and complex thinking, because there are no open-ended questions or opportunities to explain/defend your answer. Assessing everyone in one particular way does not truly measure their knowledge, but purely their understanding of the culture and the mindset of the test creators. By the way, have you ever wondered why we are taught and challenged to teach our students using various learning styles, yet they are tested by only one? Do all of our children learn best by just using pencil and paper? Then why should they just be tested in this manner? Just a thought!

Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Betsy, good point about testing. I totally agree. Unfortunately, the answer is that same as always - money. It would cost WAY too much to give and score a test that would accurately test students in various styles.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

My school just enrolled a couple of non-English speaking students. They speak NO English. What's going to happen in this situation? We're going to push our methods and customs at them and expect them to accept our way as the right way. Another disadvantage is that this family is the only Latino family enrolled at our school. Of course our teachers will work hard to meet their academic needs, but I think it's inevitable that as we work with them, we will make them more like our students instead of appreciating the differences they bring to our school.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]