View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Deplit's Other Peoples's Children Cultural Conflict 
All-star
All-star

Hi Everybody:

Everything does seem to come together as we continue to read different information about the Social and Philosophical thought regarding education. This reading really does give its readers an inside view of other people's thoughts regarding cultural differences. It does take moving from the top to the bottom, not just in education, but in areas of society. Curltural conflict is in all aspects of life. We had a chance to see that in the video about American class structure. People really don't take time out to talk and get to know what is the norm in one culture vs the norm in another culture. It's not just one culture vs another because there are cultural conflicts(classes) within the same culture. I believe that each class, whether people like to say that it exist in America or not, has its own culture. Now, that makes the conflicts even more masked.
So far as education, I am yet learning that we do have our own preconceived ideas about people based on what we have heard and sometimes what we have experienced. From the videos and the readings, it is clear that we all have a story that we bring to the teaching experience.
Perhaps, the best thing to do is to leave our stories in the background, and listen to people from different cultures. I believe the human experience yields that people are more alike than different. Maybe there could be a blending of the stories, so that a democratic educational experience can be given to the children we teach. I do believe that every child should be given a chance, not based on preconceived ideas, to get an equal education in a classroom setting where the teacher believes in her students, individaully. Cloning will not work. Teachers don't have that ability. It's interesting to hear of the different cultures who face some of the same conflicts that African Americans have faced and are still facing. As the child asked, who determines what is politically correct? Um.....

Similar to the video from last class,(Cain & Abel) -- perhaps whites and multi-cultural educational experts (starting from the top) should come together to talk and discuss cultural differences, as a learning experience to formulate ideas that will enhance a child's educational experience. It is worth try. These silent conflicts continue regardless of one's status in life.

I really liked this line "We listen to the way people talk, not to judge them, but to tell what part of the river they come from.

Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:35 pm
All-star
All-star

Very well said!! The article we had to read dealt with the different cultures within the classroom. The observations were interesting at the beginning during the class time. I'm sure the teacher didn't rrealize that she wasn't given any posititve feedback. That ties in with the preconceived ideas and expectations of our students. I liked the part in the article when the author was explaining how a teacher says something and the different interpretations from the different cultures.(starts on p. 34). That was definitely a good example of why we need to be more aware of diversification of culture and expectations.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I enjoyed this reading because it was eye opening to me as a white, middle class teacher. The part about how directions are given - directly or as questions was something I had never thought about. I learned in undergrad that you shouldn't ask a question because it gives children an "out" if they don't want to do something. However, I never considered that it was a cultural issue.

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I liked this reading as well. It has some very interesting points. I too, liked the part about questioning. In one of my other classes in the reading program with Dr. Kucan we spent a lot of time talking about questioning and the importance of how we ask them. I know that this article is a little different than the subject of the types of quesitons but they do relate. I can remember going back into my classroom and changing the way I asked quesitons. The cultural issue does play a role in quesitoning and getting the answers. The 5 aspects of power are relevaant and ring true to our different culutures. They aspects say so much about how we view things in school.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:12 am
All-star
All-star

I think this was my favorite article so far. I loved this quote...When one "we" gets to determine the standards for all "wes," then some "wes" are in trouble! I did not realize the skills v. process debate had a racial slant to it, but most of the suggestions just really seemed like good teaching/communicating suggestions. I was particularly struck by the observation that those in power are "frequently least aware of - or at least willing to acknowledge - its existence." I thought about parent/teacher conferences and in particular, trying to discuss a child's poor math performance. A lot of teachers are reluctant to risk offending the parents by providing information they already have, so things are handled more indirectly...I've seen a lot of teachers treat the parents like the assume they know a certain skill. Not to generalize, though, because many of us ASSUME NOTHING when it comes to academics, but I think a lot of communication with parents is done indirectly...by that I mean there is an attempt to deemphasize power.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:21 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I would have to agree with you all about this article. It did have several interesting points and it was an eye opener for me. I did struggle to finish this artilce.

Candy

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:32 am
All-star
All-star

Delpit is approaching this from a realistic angle and has really brought together what I think is helpful, common sense suggestions for educators and how culture and a person's own background should shape how we teach. I thought the elements of power were interesting, too. I especifally found the section that talked about the black culture and how they view authority differently than mainstream middle-class backgrounds. Authority is more characteristic-based and earned by display of personal power in the black culture, she gave the example, teacher is teacher because she is authoritative, whereas the middle-class culture views the role of authority by the acquisition of an authoritative role, "teacher is the authority because she is the teacher." These observations and how culture view educators and authority figures was fascinating.

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:10 am
All-star
All-star

Girls you have all brought up some great points on this post. I also liked the part about how different cultures perceive the directions differently. I never really thought about it this way. All the children in my class are white, but I still kept thinking about this article. I was wondering if you girls thought some of the same things could apply to different classes instead of just students of a different race? Sometimes I catch my self giving sarcastic directions - like where to put the scissors (after the 100th time this year). I don't do it to children of a different race - because I don't have any. Let me know what you think. I am trying to be careful about the way I say things to my students.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:52 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]