View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Secrets? 
All-star
All-star

On page 31 of the Delpit article, there is this quote..."In this country, students will be judged on their product regardless of the process they utilized to achieve it. And that product, based as it is on the specific codes of a particular culture, is more readily produced when the directives of how to produce it are made explicit. If such explicitness is not provided to students, what it feels like to people who are old enough to judge is that there are secrets being kept, that time is being wasted, that the teacher is abdicating his or her duty to teach." THAT REALLY HIT HOME! I have seen this way too often, most recently in a graduate class I took...the professor had the standard "You learn by doing" rationale/cop-out, but HE GAVE US NOTHING to go on...I struggled and learned a COUPLE OF THINGS, but nothing like I would have learned if he would have at least incorporated small amounts of direct instruction. WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! What do you all think of that quote? How much do you learn if you're completely on your own and yet the objectives are someone else's?

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:38 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Good point. I do enjoy classes where I know what to expect and can work at my own pace. However, if it's all on my own, I want the teachers pay check too!! There are tons of books and how to manuals out there to be read if I want to learn that way. I'm in school because I want direct instruction. Now, not to ride the fence, but too much direct instruction can get boring and be ineffective. Thinking about the 6 point lesson plan (as much as we hate it) it makes since. After "teacher input" and "guided practice" there needs to be some "independent practice." Some things ARE learned better if you figure them out on your own - after you've gotten some background knowledge, etc.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Good post Amy! I agree with you. This is like a lot of other things with teaching and learning - it takes a combination! I also like to know what is expected of me. I like structure & direct instruction. However, I also know that you can learn by doing. I think you are right, it takes some of both to be successful. (I also liked what you said about the professor's pay check.) I get so much more out of the classes that are HELPFUL and relevant to things going on in my classroom!

Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Good points, ladies! I have had some really good teachers in the past who have not only shown me how to do something, but have also challenged me try it on my own AND adjust that same lesson to use in my own classroom! I don't like sitting through a class thinking, "What does this have to do with teaching?" Or, "How can I use this in my classroom?" I love it when my professor's instruction affects my instruction.Those are the types of teachers who have taught me the most--the ones who have given me information in such a way that I learned from it, could do it myself, and turn around and use it with, or teach it to, others!

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:32 am
All-star
All-star

This is so true! I have a hard time seeing how the 'teacher' is in the position when I end up figuring out what I'm supposed to learn. I do appreciate all the work that other teachers place in getting the guidelines ready for us and giving us the direction so that we are successful. Thank God for those who are there that take the position seriously!

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:18 am
All-star
All-star

I feel that teachers should establish relevance in the material they are teaching and, if necessary, the procedures they are using to teach the material. My students do better when they know what is expected of them, as well as receiving the necessary instruction. I think we all probably know of a teacher who allow worksheets to do the teaching, and then, when the students take a test on the material covered, they don't pass, which results in D's and E's on a report card. In essence, the students are being penalized for the teacher's lack of responsibility to be effective in the classroom. What I have been thinking of lately is whether my teaching style is meeting the needs of my ELL and LD students. It's really difficult to differentiate instruction to help each child be successful.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:06 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]