View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Seeing the other side 
All-star
All-star

Tonignt as we were sitting in class, I just kept thinking how fortunate we were to have Sheila in our class. I am not sure that our discussions would have taken the same path if we had not had her in on our conversation. I really appreciated hearing ideas from a person of African American race. It really made me think when she shared the story about her grandmother and the fear. I never even thought of it that way. Thank you Sheila for your point of view!!! I still keep seeing the images from the book and the video thinking - WHO could be so cruel??? I think that tonight's class put a whole new meaning into this part of our history for me personally. It was not a topic I enjoyed, but I do have a whole new appreciation for people who actually had to live through those tough times. Dr. Turner you are right, we as educators must make students more aware of the WHOLE history. Again Sheila thank you for giving us stories from your side.

Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Chandra, I agree that Shelia's presence made the discussion much more meaningful. Several things she shared - especially about her fear even now for her adult sons - really made me think. As hard as it may be for a white teacher to have that type of discussion with a mixed race class, I think it is definitely necessary in order to learn from history's mistakes.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:50 am
All-star
All-star

It really is a shame that today in society families still have to live in fear.

Candy

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:29 am
All-star
All-star

Chandra, I'm glad you mentioned how valuable it has been to have Sheila in our class. I think we all feel the same way. We could never really have had a truthful, realistic view of the issues and struggles that the African-American culture still deals with, without Sheila being with us. I cringe at many of the things she has told us, because I feel personally ashamed at what many people from my white culture have done to her race. Even though I don't subscribe to the hate and racisit views of some whites, it still is a reflection on me and my race. I wish we had more diversity in our library class. I don't think we even have a person of African-American race in our entire cohort! It really would add much to our classroom discussions. Dr. Veltze does make a huge effort to have speakers that do provide a diverse view, which is great. Thanks to Sheila for giving us insight into her cultural story!

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:21 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]