View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Class Discussion 
All-star
All-star

Hi Everybody:

The Class discussion was very meaningful, though painful, to me, in that I had a chance to share some about ,my family, the African American family. Though slavery is an ugly, ghostly, taboo part of American history, teaching it to children in a truthful, yet sensitive manner, will start the process of "the healing of a nation" To share this history with black and whites in the same room would be more effective. Growing up, I heard about this history from my grandparents and my mother; therefore, it was not shocking to me. I looked at pictures, but I've seen them before. Maybe not those, but others. Also, when we were in segregated schools, we learned, from our teachers, about this history. It was taught so that we might know the beginning. As a result of that. in the "all black" schools was an atmosphere of love, care, concern, and safety. The hurt was there about the differences, but the teachers always had a way of motivating us to feel good about ourselves in spite of all the things that were going on in America. Watching videos and reading books about the struggles of the African American just makes me thankful to God, the ones that died, and to the ones that endured such harsh inhumane injustices, so that legislature could be put into place to make this world a different place to live in. In spite of current injustices, there is some justice. So many died, not just Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

On another note. I also like "direct teaching" method. After they have been taught what to do, then allow them to demonstrate what they have learned, and I hope they retain it. That's a real concern of mine. Will they take it to the next level? I would hope that they would.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:46 am
All-star
All-star

Sheila, thank you for sharing your veiwpoint. I know it is sometimes hard to open up to strangers. Your viewpoint and comments were very benefical and thought provoking. As often times said, it is hard to walk in someone else's shoes. Your comments help with this understanding. Thank you for sharing!

Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:35 am
All-star
All-star

Shelia, I am also gald when you share your viewpoints. They always really make me think about my attitude towards other students and other adults. It seems that we are always quick to judge another person without taking the time to look at life from their perspective. When you shared the advice that your grandmother gave to your brothers and the advice that you in turn shared with your sons, it made sense to me. I could see why you would want to keep your sons 'away' from white girls. You are their mother and above all else you will protect them from whatever tries to hurt them. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your comments. They are helping me to think outside of my world and see the people living within it.

Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Thank you for your insight. I definitely had an eye-opening experience on Wed. night when you shared your experiences with your own grandparents and sons. When you said that you STILL worry about your sons' safety, even though they are adults, my heart went out to you. It is so sad that there are so many prejudices still existant in this world that would cause your grown sons to be in danger! Thank you for helping us see a mother's point of view, and allowing us to be exposed to how families protect each other against the dangers of society.

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:14 am
All-star
All-star

I truly appreciate your insightful responses to our class discussion. I believe that life is hard enough just getting through it but to add the types of obstacles that your have faced along with having to guard and protect your children is so indicative of the society that still exists today.
The photos that we looked at together were gruesome and were beyond comprehension that it 'actually' took place. Thank you for allowing us to see with your eyes for just a bit.

Deanna

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:27 am
All-star
All-star

It is sad that as a society we tend to push aside the ugly part of our history. Discussions like the one we had Wed. are crucial because we are able to learn how others suffered. I hope as a society we can learn from mistakes made in the past. I truly didn't understand many of the struggles that African Americans still face. While I don't deal with African American children in my classroom, I have to wonder what "stories" my Asian children have that I'm not aware of. Expectations that I hold for my students often stem from what I want, not from what may be best for the students. It takes so long to get to know the kids in my class. It's easy to expect the same from all the kids. It's not until the year progresses that I begin to understand what my kids deal with on a daily basis. At that time, I can begin to understand their story and, hopefully, be more accomodating to their needs.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:27 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Thank you for sharing your life experiences with the class. Several ties your the discussion I reverted back to memories I had grown up in Detriot. I especially enjoyed tthe private conversation you and I had briefly after class.

Candy

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:19 am
All-star
All-star

Sheila, thank you again for opening up and sharing so many memories and experiences from your life and family. It would be hard to talk about a lot of the things you shared with people you don't hardly know, but I appreciate that you still did. I'm thankful that we have made progress, but we still have need of a lot more open, frank conversations like this, because it's obvious there are still injustices going on. There's a lot of healing that has to take place before we can all move forward. Thank you again for making us more aware of the realities of life for African-Americans. Jennifer

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:26 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]