View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Eyes on the Prize! 
All-star
All-star

I mentioned the other night that my third grade teacher would show us an Eyes on the Prize video each week in order to open our eyes to the history of the civil rights movement. I also mentioned that it was very upsetting to see videos of black people being beaten, burned, etc. at such a young age. This time in my life was very disturbing, becuase I don't think I was ready to see all of the violence that we were being exposed to. I was thinking about what Dr. Turner said about how third graders had to actually live with this horror everyday, so why should we not have to be exposed to it? I don't know how to answer that question, because I know she's right, but there has got to be a better teaching tool to teach children about black history without presenting such graphic violence. I discussed this issue with my mom (because she remembered me crying every morning on the way to school, in fear that we might watch another "scary movie"), and she said that the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" would be a good teaching tool to show students about the injustices of American history from a child's perspective (although there is the issue of rape in this book/movie that may be hard to explain to kids!) Do you ladies have any feelings or suggestions on what a third grade teacher could do to teach civil rights in a different way? Or...should we have watched those videos? They definitely made a huge impression on me and others! Was she teaching us a meaningful lesson that we would never forget?

Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:07 am
All-star
All-star

Betsy - I agree with your teacher that you should be taught these issues at an early age. However I disagree with the way that she taught it. I do think that third grade is a little too young to watch this serries. I can understand why you were scared of having to watch "another scary movie". I do not have any suggestions of other alternatives right now - I have never taught third grade. I wonder if there are other videos - more suitable for this age group?

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:43 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 2 posts ]