View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Indirect and direct commands - Delpits' observations 
All-star
All-star

I thought Delpit's observations about direct and indirect commands from the perspective of a teacher was really interesting. She compared the way that the black culture and its authority figures give more direct commands, (the example of the black mother is hilarious - "boy, get your rusty behind in that bathtub"), and the tendancy of more direct statements that leave no room for discussion from the child. She's not asking, she's telling the child to get in the tub and bathe. She contrasts this with the way a white, middle-class mother is more likely to offer more of an "out", asking them to do something - "Isn't it time for your bath". Delpit uses these examples to show how as educators, we may be sending mixed signals to students who do come from those more authoritative backgrounds when we form our directives in class. She talks about Heath's suggestion on how children from some families may not understand the indirect statement of the teacher as a direct command. I never even considered that! It's a great observation, but I'm wondering if many white teachers might run the risk of being labeled as the negative "white" authority figure by students/parents. For example, the feeling that you don't tell me what to do - ask me. I think sometimes you could end up having a double-edged sword and offending people if you were too quick to take on the same air of authority that perhaps a teacher who is black might choose to take on. It's more like you have to earn the authority, first, I think. Especially for white teachers working with black students and parents. What do you all think about her statements on direct and indirect commands?

Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:40 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 1 post ]