View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Solidarity or objectivity? 
All-star
All-star

Hi Everyone:

Um....I'm not sure about this read. I must re-look and re-read. The search for absolute truth is interesting to get at the truth of absolute truth. Ha! Ha! That's almost the way it seems when I get to reading philosophical papers. Does truth have variables? according to belief, culture and community? Um... I'm not sure. I guess it depends on which way you lean, solidarity or objectivity. I must admit, this takes a closer read, even more so than Dewey's piece. So, I will check back later when I read a second time. I thought I saw some connection to The Poisonwood Bible and then I thought I could connect something to Ishmael, but I must read again. Not clear yet (smile)

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:49 pm
All-star
All-star

Sheila I too am having problems with this article. I have read it twice with a dictionary and I'm not clear yet. Help from anyone!

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:25 pm
All-star
All-star

Like both of you I have been waiting for posts on this aritlce for a better understanding. I guess I will read it again before class.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Oh well - you girls aren't any help on this article!! However, Dr. Turner just said to READ it - we DON'T have to UNDERSTAND it. So just trust her - read it and then we will use it for class discussion at our next meeting - those are my plans anyway!! See you next week!

Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:57 pm
All-star
All-star

Hi everyone, This article is challenging. Like Chandra, I am not going to dwell on it and wait for class to learn more about it.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm sure Dr. Turner will explain the parts of this reading to us that we need to know and understand. She always ties our articles in well with other resources and viewpoints. It will all be very clear on Wednesday. No worries!

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Now I know how some of my kids feel when they encounter text that is new or challenging for them! I think I could read this 10 times and I still wouldn't have a clue!

Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:20 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I read some of your post before I finsished reading this article-just to see if maybe anyone could offer an explanation about what I was reading and not understanding. Well, hopefully we will get clarifiaction on Wed. night.

I really think I got lost in the reading because I was having to stop and look up so many words in the dictionary-and even some of them I still didn't understand.

I went back and printed out the chart-I should of done that along with the article- this helped a little but I think I am still dazed and confused.

Can anyone offer some insight into this article????????

Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:02 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Oh well! I thought maybe the posts would help me but I guess we're all in the same boat. I wasn't in class the last time so I'm glad April mentioned that we were just suppose to READ it. That makes me feel better about not actually understanding the article. I thought maybe it was just me. I agree with Ginger in that now I see how my students feel when I give them a difficult book to read. Right now I'm a little frustrated, I can't imagine how one of my students feel as young as they are when I assign something difficult to read. Well it will all be okay once we get in class and hear Dr. Turner. She's great about explaining and connecting everything. See you Wednesday night!!!! :P

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Did anyone make the connection with this article and a post-modernism-type school of thought? It seems that the many truths discussed in this article are those of a post-modern thinker (i.e. My truth is not your truth..., There is no one Truth that prevails above the rest..., Things cannot be scientifically proven..., Everything is relative...,etc.) I took a class on this type of thinking at my church this summer and I saw a lot of similarities between the class and this article. I could be way off, but it seems like I recognize a few of the terms and ideas. Just a thought....

Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:05 pm
All-star
All-star

Betsy - You got way more out of it than I did. Congrats to you if you're right! I can't say if I agree or disagree with you because . . . frankly. . .I just didn't get it! I can't wait for things to get cleared up tomorrow!

Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:58 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]