View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 solidarity vs objectivity 
All-star
All-star

Hi Everyone:

I think I have an idea of what the read was about now. Of course I always think that until I read it again. At any rate, I understand the boat as solidarity and the building as objectivity. I think that a person could have both ways of looking at truth, depending upon what the subject is. Sometimes I see truth in terms of solidarity and sometimes I see truth in terms of objectivity. It depends on the variables involved. So far as the classroom, I try to see truth in more of the solidarity way of looking at truth. After looking at the video last night, I could see my ideas like the School Superintendent.(ha! ha! ha!) But after we discussed pro and cons of Sudberry Valley school??(not sure)I was more open to look at the good in the educational methods at that school. I did think of my youngest daughter as I watched thd students at that school. She is a very talented muscian, and has always been very mature and responsible, and I could see her doing well in that type of setting as I think back on who she really is. At any rate, it's all a learning experience to me. This entire course has been a challenge in looking at truth or what appears to be truth (smile) about our society and those of us who bring our stories to make it a world that is amazing with its range of diversity.

Thanks to Isabelle for bring up the "time" (more of it) we need to complete the exam. Glad Dr. Turner had such compassion. (smile)

Now to complete the Poisonwood Bible. Let's do it!!!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:52 am
All-star
All-star

Thank goodness for the visuals last night about the boat and the building. After Dr. Turner explained the boat and building and how it pertains to solidarity and objectivity I started to see what Rorty was trying to convey in his article. I agree with Sheila I think now if I was to go back and re-read the Rorty article, I know I would be able to get more out of it. The wording Rorty uses was often confusing, but now I'm starting to see what he was saying. The examples in class also helped me to see the different views in our society(realist, pragmatist, relativist). It's surprising to see how closed minded we sometimes get about certain topics. But if that's our big "T" truth then that's our absolute truth and how we view something.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:55 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Sorry I forgot to mention: much thanks to Dr. Turner for extending our final due date. It will give us more time to absorb the final questions and be able to thoughtfully respond to them. THANK YOU!! Great idea Isobel!! :) :)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:03 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I also apprecitaed the visuals-the jury-the boat-the building-they really helped me put what Rorty was saying into perspective. Thanks-Dr. Turner!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:00 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree girls!! The visuals (boat and building) DEFINATELY helped me understand the article better!! Thanks Dr.Turner!! Also the small group questions that we looked up and went over really helped as well. I am not saying that I am an expert on this subject now, but I certainly have a better idea than I did before. Also, thanks for giving us an extension on our Final Exam (Thanks to Isobel too). I agree with Laura that this will give us more time to reflect and respond to the final part of this course. I can't believe that this is almost over girls - it has really flown by. We are on the homestretch now!!! By the way Dr. Trathen did let me into the Product in the Spring!! Have a great weekend everyone!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]