View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Sudbury School (Yes or No?) 
All-star
All-star

While watching the video last night I kept thinking to myself that "these parents are crazy". As an educator I was looking at this video from a realist view because what I know to be true is that receiving a good education in today's society is vital, no ifs, ands or buts about it.
I really enjoyed coming up with arguments for and against the school. It made us really look at all view points(solidarity). We were acting as if pragmatists because we were trying to view all reasons why or why not this school is acceptable.
I'm still not completely convinced that this school would work for everyone. I agree with what Amie said last night about this type of school being more for high school age students than it would be younger students. I think that younger students should be in a school environment that is rigorous and structured. They're too young to know exactly what their "passion" is for the future.
On the way home I got to thinking about how a school like this could help the drop out rate in our high schools. What do you think?
Sorry for rattling on! Have a great Thanksgiving!!! :)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:44 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Laura, I thought about the drop out rate too. One of the problems I struggle with is teaching kids (in 5th grade) who don't care - about the lesson or even about school in general. Unfortunately, there are already some with that attitude even younger and the problem definitely worsens with age. Although my Truth causes me to be against it, the Sudbury School would solve some of those problems. Kids would only learn what they wanted to learn. What an awesome experience as a teacher - to have the student(s) hanging on your every word because they REALLY want to know what you're saying. I'd say that happens to us occasionally, but it would be an everyday occurence at Sudbury!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:18 am
All-star
All-star

I too thought about the drop out rate and discussed it with Laura on the way home. However, the more I thought about it today-Would a school like Sudbury help with the high drop out rate? I really don't think so-maybe I did at first but then I began to think about the socioeconomic status of most drop outs-they couldn't afford a school like this. I mean with tuition at $4,000.00-for some students that might the the family income for the entire year.

I also thought about alternative schools-like the one we have in our county-You can only make a child do so much and if they don't want to attend school then they will find everyway possible to get out of it. What does an alternative school offer that a regular school can't?? Do all students who are at risk for dropping out of school need to all be in one school??? There has to be a better means to helping with the drop out rate. I'm sure in the years to come-someone-somewhere will come up with a solution after all it seems like in education ----someone has a solution for everything. If this type of school would help the drop out rate-does the county have enough money to fund it-No. So-if you can't pay for the private school then you just out of luck if the public alternative school doesn't work.

Our Superintindent talks about reducing the drop out rate by starting with good positive behaviors in the lower grades. This might help but who can control what happens in a child's life from the time he leaves your classroom???????? You can instill the quality of education into a child but what happens when the teachers their future years don't??????

Enough of my scattered thoughts. I'll check back later to see what you guys think!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Hi gals! Good points from all. While watching the movie I wasn't impressed and found it hard to believe that parents would pay for their children to attend. It brought to mind the Montessori(sp) School. When it was first introduced it was considred reaching out of the box and tradition and wasn't looked on by all in a complimantary manner. It isn't for all and is still thiriving today, so their must be some good in it for some as with the Sudbury School.

Drop out is definitely an issue in all schools. I don't know what the answer is either. An alternative school of sorts seems to be an anwere but how?

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Good points girls. I was also like Isobel - I was thinking "What are these parents doing?" I also see the points that everyone has raised about the dropout rate and having the students listen to you because they "want" too! However, I am still not sure I would go for this type of schooling. I agree with Laura - I did like the way we argued for and against this school. It really helped us to see all the sides of this type of program. Great discussion girls. Being a first grade teacher, I still have a problem with kids who are 8 years old and CHOOSE not to be reading yet. I guess I am too much of a realist on this subject!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I too was thinking about it on the way home. When I got here, I got online and just checked out the school. It seemed rather interesting and it is just a touch more expensive than when the video was made.

The traditional schooling is fine for my daughter, but if she were offered something like this, I think that I would consider it. I know that I would be the only one in my family to consider it because my husband would not even be interested in such a non-structured situation for her.

I also think about how I would have progressed in a school like Sudbury. It would be nice to have time to focus on your passion and not "waste" my time worrying about the other stuff. One shoe doesn't fit all.

Thanks, Dr. Turner, for the insight into a schools that is definately out of the box!

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess I just have my doubts about the Sudbury school. It just didn't seem like the real world to me. I thought there were some great things about it, such as having the opportunity to just "hang out" and learn about things that might be your passion. But - it's only my opinion - I think things like video games or "hanging out" talking about things that have nothing to do with basic skills that we really should all have a grasp of in a democracy, such as reading and math, are things you do in your free time. It seemed like a cop-out to me to hear some of the excuses from the kids/parents for attending. Boredom, yes, is something we've all experienced in school and work. But, not every experience is going to be exciting every single minute. I just would worry that years could go by and all my child would've ever chosen to do would be "hang out" or play video games, and they've never focused on any of the things that we go to school for. I just got the feeling that these were a lot of over-indulged parents and children to me. I do agree that this concept would be good to introduce in upper grades, because that's when kids need to explore their passions. At least a good foundation in reading, writing, and math could be the focus in those younger grades.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Hi everyone, this is an interesting conversation. I have thougts that are both for and against the Sudbury School situation. I see the point at letting students learn at their own rate, because I teach reading that way. I teach the students at their instructional level in reading. I can see the point in that area where students learn at their own rate. However, what if they never take an interest in learning to read.

A big problem that I had was with the time they can choose to come to school. The REAL WORLD is not like that. I teach my students today the importance of being on time. I also teach them the importance of holding a job. On Mondays we "hire" new helpers each week to assist with classroom jobs, like line leader, teacher's assistant, etc., if they choose to not following directions, break rules, or move their name, they can get "fired" becasue they are not holding up their job in a responsible way. From my interpretation the Sudbury School did not hold their students responsible in that way.

These are just some thoughts that I had on this situation. I don't think I would send my children to this school, but I don't have kids yet so I can not say truly what I would do.

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 am
All-star
All-star

I really enjoyed reading this discussion thread. I would not pay to send either of my children to the subdury school. My oldest son would play games all day and my youngest son would chase girls. How would they fill out a college/job application. I can't read, do math, but I can play games and chase girls. How far would they get in life. In my opinion the cons out weight the pros.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:56 pm
All-star
All-star

We do need more democracy in the schools...I'm curious, do your schools do anything in particular to encourage student participation? It's really no wonder so many Americans don't vote or vote without really being informed. How many of our students will take active roles in the community...or will they, like too many, work. care for their family, and "wash their hands" of those less fortunate?

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]