View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nathan Price's Truth 
All-star
All-star

I'm enjoying reading The Poisonwood Bible (I'm almost done - only 100 or so more pages :P ). It definitely makes me appreciate the luxuries we have here in America. I thought it was interesting the way Dr. Turner talked about Nathan Price last night. I have to admit I had the "what a jerk" perspective. He's sacrificing his own family's happiness, health, etc. and for what!!??!! Now I see that he Truly believed that what he was doing was right. I'm actually impressed. I am a Christian, but when it comes down to it, I don't know that I could ever have enough faith to sacrifice my family. When I hear the Bible story about Abraham sacrificing Isaac it makes me ashamed, because I truly don't think I could ever do that (even though I would like to believe I could if God asked!). I hope everything turns out OK for the Price's in the end - although I've read enough to know it doesn't. I wonder if Nathan's idea of Truth will ever be shaken? If it hasn't by what I've read already, I doubt it!

Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:29 am
All-star
All-star

Amy I have finished the book and won't spoil the ending for your. As I read I kept thinking of the different stories that have come out of the same tragic(my interpretaton) events,not just the Price family, but the natives living in the Congo and the others involved. I enjoyed reading the book. I like the way Dr. Turner identified Nathan Price. It makes him a little more understanble and maybe justified in his actions. I also kept thinking how this experience effected their lives and influenced the direction they took with their lives. This book to me tied everything together that we have discussed in class, of course if Dr. Turner had not clarified solidarity and objectiviy I would not have been able to see the connection. I hope this makes sense.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm glad you didn't spoil the ending for me-I feel like I am never going to get to the ending. I read late at night when the children and my husband are all snuggled in----and I always end up falling asleep! I did finish my portfolio for my other class, therefore I am going to devote most of my weekend to finishing the book.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:54 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

What is so interesting to me is that I never thought of Nathan Price as a jerk! When Dr. Turner was saying that and we were definatley understanding, it was like a whole other perspective because I can truly say that I didn't think that way.

I will now read the book with new eyes. Thanks for not spoiling the ending!!!!

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Amy, I'm about finished, too, and I have to say it took me a while to get into the book, but now I'm really liking this story! I saw Nathan Price as a total jerk, too, and I guess after our discussion about realist/pragmatists I have a little more understanding of what is making him tick. Although, I have to say he sure isn't approaching his mission very wisely. His tactics will never "win over" any converts. He's totally missing the point and ignoring the things that they hold dear in their culture. I see the point of reading this book - we have to remind ourselves not to become like Nathan Price and embrace the cultures and stories of our students, keeping in mind their voices and experiences.

Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I finished reading Poisonwood Bible this morning. Once I really got into the book I really enjoyed the story. Nathan Price set out to change Africa, but in the end he lost his own soul.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I realize that Nathan Price was undoubtedly driven by his Christian beliefs, but I still think he's a jerk. You can be determined and motivated to carry out a mission, but you don't have to physically abuse others in the process. I think Candy hit the nail on the head when she said that he lost his soul in the end. I agree! He sacrificed everything to convert the Congolese, but was it worth it? He never received the response from the Congolese that he desired. Maybe if he had experienced a tremendous following it would have been worth losing his family.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:17 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Ginger. In the process of trying to covert the men and women of the Congo, he lost sight of one of his most precious gifts, his family. I realize that he believed completely in his mission but his family never seemed like a priority to me. For me, I look for spiritual leaders that live homorable lives and take care of their families. Time and time again it seems that Nathan Price put his family at risk for the sake of his mission. I don't think that I could ever put that much at stake to accomplish any mission. He had placed in his mind that he was going to accomplish this great conversion of the Congo and nothing and no one would stop him.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]