View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Home Schooling?? 
All-star
All-star

:cry: :cry: I just spent about 15 minutes pouring my heart out about home schooling, and my post just disappeared. I can't find it out there anywhere. I guess I will start over!! I will try to shorten my story this time. Betsy - I kept waiting for you to post on this subject. I did not want to "steal" your idea. I thought you must have changed your mind since we discussed it in class. I did not really finish with this subject in class last night. I was hoping that we could continue our discusion on this topic. I have very mixed feelings on this subject. Being a public school teacher, I used to think "what is wrong with these people - why don't they want to send their kids to school." Now that I am a parent, I can see both sides. I don't think I could ever do it myself, but I can see why others choose this approach. I could not be mom and teacher - it would never work for me! However, my daughter has already experienced several eye-opening events in her first half of Kindergarten. My mom tried to tell me - "they loose their innocence once they start school". I truly undrestand now. My relatively shy, quiet, well-behaved (at school) child has been told: "I want you to go home with me and take a shower with me"; "babies come out where you use the bathroom"; and a reference made to her breasts. Also a boy in her class drew a picture of my daughter using the bathroom in his journal. This is just a very small rural school - we aren't talking big city here!! These incidents have really bothered me as a mother. Now I can see how I would like to protect my child from these things - even though I know I can't protect her forever! Anyway to make a long post short - what are your feelings about home schooling?? Do you have arguements for or against this idea?? I just felt that we did not get much time to have this discussion in class!! Let me know!

Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:02 am
All-star
All-star

Wow! I knew kids learned a lot at school, but I never guessed kindergarteners could know so much! Chandra, I'm kind of where you are. My baby is only 5 months old, and I know I'll send him to school when the time comes, but I can't imagine having to deal with some of those situations! When I was 5 I learned the "Truth" (big T ?) about Santa Claus and my mom was devastated. I guess compared to your daughters "education" she should have been happy! I think there are certain situations where homeschooling is good - rough inner city schools for example. However, for the typical child, school is best. . . and it's our job as teachers to make it as safe as possible.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:57 am
All-star
All-star

Hi Chandra:

You know, I was the same way, but like you I can understand home schooling too, and for that very same reason. I think I have thought more about it as a Grandmother more so than when my children were young. Of course, I don't remember if home schooling was going on then. (smile) My granddaughter has told me some stories too. Not good. They do loose their innocence. That made me sad when Faith shared some things with me about how other children live, and the things they are allowed to look at on TV. (not good) I see their is truth in things according to what may be happening at a particular time in history. ( ???)

Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:07 am
All-star
All-star

I taught kindergarten for three years and I can't say that I ever expereinced anything like Chandra's daughter has. My friend use to teach kindergarten as well-last year she had a little boy who kept trying to stick his hands down a little girls pants-almost daily-and often he succeeded in doing so.

My boys are 3 and 4. I already think about what public school will be like for the both of them. I am a teacher but I do not think that I could stay home and homeschool my children. My husband attended a private school until he was a senior in high school. We have talked about sending our boys to the same private school that he attended.

I agree that for the typical child-public school is probably best-I guess you would have to look at the whole child to figure out what you think would be best-homeschooling-private school-public school.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:46 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

There are pros and cons to home schooling. I could not have home schooled my children. I can't work with my son. I will play the devil's advocate. True there are experiences that any child hopefully won't have to experience. Part of attending public school enables children to be with all groups of children race culture etc and learn about them and how to get along with others which is needed to be a worker in the work force later in life. Chandra I can feel your pain, there is no easy answer and I wouldn't want my child to experience bad things either. I had a student return to me this year that has been home schooled for the past two years. We had her re-tested this year and according to these test scores and the ones the mother brought in she has made very little progress in that time. On the other hand I have a friend that home schooled her children for most of their school lifes and are very high functioning well mannered adults. They are attending some of the top universities in NC. Like I said there are pros and cons. I think it depends on the parents and the students involved. I hope this makes sense.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Isobel, it does depend on the parents for the most part. We have a lady inour community who home schools all TEN of her children. These children are the brightest and most well behaved children. I saw them a lot this summer while my children and hers were playing T-Ball. I couldn't believe how well behaved their were and sooooooooo polite. I was really impressed. I just recently watched this reality show (which I rarely have time to do anymore) called the "Nanny"-(I think) This Nanny comes to your house to help you control your children. I think the Nanny needs to visit this lady in our community and see how things really get done-with TEN children.

Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Chandra, you beat me to it! I have had a busy Thurs. and Fri., and I wasn't able to get on the discussion board until now! I see a lot of pros and cons for homeschooling, because, as I said, my mom is a homechool teacher to my 16-year old sister. I love the hands-on, personal experiences that homechoolers like my sister get. I also think that it would be fascinating to teach my own children some day, because parents, of all people, should know their children's learning styles the best. But I don't have children yet, and I might be singing a different tune in a couple of years! I am going to tutor a little girl who is homeschooled starting after Christmas, because her mom said that she'll behave and focus so much better for someone that she doesn't know, because she wants to please others. However, her mother has a hard time trying to get her to obey her as a teacher and a mommy. As for the socialization, I have mixed feelings. Sometimes kids are over-socialized in schools, and they learn too much about the real world at a very early age. But I think, as kids get older, they need to be socialized and interact with others to prepare them for the real world. Like you've all said, it depends on the child, the parents, and the school situation....isn't that the case with everything!? What works for some students does not work for others, and vice versa! Homeschooling is definitely good for some students/parents, and not at all appropriate for others. Isn't it neat how we are all different, and we all have our different stories to tell!? :lol: Sound familiar?

Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:35 pm
All-star
All-star

Hi, girls! I have a few thoughts about homeschooling as well. I have often thought about homeschooling Meredyth, but realized that I wouldn't be the 'best' teacher for her in all areas. I do realize that I am the best mommy for her and that is where I will place my hat for now.

My husband was homeschooled along with his two brothers and a sister. They were an evangelistic family and traveled and sang at many churches and this lifestyle didn't lend itself to attending school. My mother-in-law was a great teacher for them all. They were all very well adjusted and came out scoring rather high when they reentered the public school domain. So that appeared to work!

My sister-in-law will ONLY homeschool her son because of some of the issues mentioned in the above posts. She is totally unwilling to allow any of the innocence to be lost in a public situation. She has a classroom similar to what Betsy described and is well prepared to take on such a responsibility so it does appear that it will work.

I believe that the key to homeschooling is to have a support system, needed supplies and also a deep conviction that the homeschooling is what you as a parent need to do for your child.

There are so many tales out there about homeschooling though, that you do have to wonder when and how are these 'schools' accountable and what if the child doesn't succeed...how is the parent going to be feeling then?

Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Boy, I feel for you! I'm not a parent, but I can just imagine how hard it would be to know that your baby - and kindergarteners are still babies - is already having to have things that most of us never were subjected to until at least upper elementary/middle school. I just wish they were still allowed to be babies. I am all for open, frank conversation, but obviously somebody isn't using common sense in raising their child if they are being exposed to such adult things.

I've never been thrilled about home school, but I guess it goes back to individual choice. My sister-in-law was home schooled her senior year, after being at a Christian school since upper elementary. She chose to do it that way - I think a lot of it was the idea of my in-laws, and she just followed their lead. (It does go back to their desire to shelter her, both religiously and socially). But, in all respect to anyone who chooses this method of education, I worry that they don't get a clear picture of reality and society. No diversity, no exposure to other people and cultures. But, on the flip-side, you could avoid run-ins with topics that are inappropriate for such a young age. I guess it goes back to what parents feel is appropriate for their children. Is there a big T truth as to what method is most appropriate for educating children? Or, is it different for different kids?

Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Isobel there are pros and cons to home schooling. Home schooling is not for every family. If I had young children at home I would seriously consider home schooling. I do not think I could teach my own children. I would definitely need a support group.

Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone on that home schooling has it's pros and cons. Personally I don't think I could home school my own children. It takes a special person to home school and teach the children in a way that's meaningful and helpful.
Chandra, I hate that your little girl is being exposed to such topics at a young age. I have a little boy in my 1st grade classroom that has been suspended 4 times this year because of misbehaving and sticking his hands in girls pants and even pulling one little girls pants down in front of the class.
Public school has become an eye opener for many even as young as kindergarten. I agree with Betsy in that maybe it's a good idea to home school the young ones, but as they get older they should be back in the public system so that they can interact and participate in sports, clubs, etc.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:55 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

My neighbor home schools her 3 children and there are a few families in my church who homeschool. Through casual discussion with them, it seems like they try very hard to meet the academic needs for their children. It helps that 2 of the moms taught in the public school system. They are aware of the vigorous pace of the curriculum. Also, I have seem the kids meet with other home-schooled children at the public library for arts/craft time. While I do think these ladies are providing a good and diverse education for their children, I'm still not a big fan of home schooling. Like many of you have stated, I don't think I home schooling would be an option for me. I haven't had the negative school experiences some of you have faced because I don't have kids yet. It is sad that kids have to be subjected to inappropriate behavior at such young ages. I pesonally think it would be too much of a challenge to teach a child at each grade level. I would probably learn as much as my child. Basically, I agree with the other comments. Home schooling has pros and cons, and one must take each family and their circumstances into consideration.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:24 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

THANKS GIRLS!! My family and I have been to Disney Worls over the Thanksgiving holiday, so I just now got a chance to get back on the forum. I really enjoyed reading what each one of you wrote in response to my post. Reading all these different ideas gave me lots to think about. I know that I could NOT work all day with my own children. I love them dearly, but do NOT have the patience!! Thanks for all your suggestions and comments!! It's tough being a parent - you ALWAYS want what is best for your child!! See you gals tomorrow!!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:51 pm
Site Admin

Hi everyone:

I wanted to chime in here about the inappropriate behavior of the kindergarten boy. This sort of behavior MAY be indicating that a child is being abused in some way themselves. When a teacher sees this sort of thing happening in the classroom, she or he needs to make sure she is reading the situation correctly. Is the behavior really "sexual" or are we, as adults, reading it as sexual?

If you conclude it is, in fact, sexual after asking yourself, and perhaps others, "Am I projecting my adult story on this child", then you really have to explore the possibility there is sexual abuse happening to the child. Knowing the names and functions of body parts, of course, is not in itself unhealthy, or sexual, and I know that is not what anyone is saying.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:00 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]