View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Extrensic vs Intrinsic Motivation 
All-star
All-star

There is a principal in NY who has offered her 5th graders $10 each if they all pass the state social studies test. My guess is she thinks it's a pretty safe bet because they said it would cost her $1000 out of pocket if she had to pay up. I was amazed that it has come to this. I think intrinsic motivation is SOOOOOOO important for kids to learn. Unfortunately in this world, they have less and less opportunity. When you brag on them they try to "get" something out of it. For example - "You all did a great job walking down the hall" is followed by "Can we have extra recess?" I will admit I"m as guilty as the next person - I've promised candy bars to the top assessment scorer, etc. My principal has even taken an entire grade level skating for success on the writing test. It's a shame kids expect this now, but they do. I wonder - what are your thoughts? Are we creating a world where no one will do anything without asking "What's in it for me??"
(Sorry if this doesn't make sense - my baby is in my lap fussing b/c he's ready for a nap)

Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:08 am
All-star
All-star

Amy, I can relate the "give me more" syndrome!!!!!!!!

I can brag on my students for sitting quietly at lunch or walking quietly down the hall-and when I should just get a smile-I get can we have $5? (We use a big buck reward system in our classroom)

Whatever happened to children doing it becasue it was the right thing to doing it just to get something in return. What can we do as teachers about trying to change this?????

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:14 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Tina I agree with you. What happen to just doing it. I had one student last year who said if he got an 100 on his spelling test he would get a hundred dollars. It defintely motivated him. Good question. When you get the answer as to changing this let me know?

Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

What is interesting about this topic is that we want it to be changed, but as a society we all encourage it. For example, when a workshop is offered, many ask what kind of stipend will we receive? When an extra night at school is required, we are offered comp time. I see it as a trickle down effect. I know that many children always are wanting more, but what they are exhibiting is their interpretation of what is modeled before them. What do you think??

Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:12 pm
All-star
All-star

Ouch - well said Deanna. I hadn't thought about it that way!

Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:46 am
All-star
All-star

I think Amy's right about kids expecting more rewards for what might have just been expected of kids years back. I also agree with Deanna and her observation that kids are probably picking up a lot of the "what's in it for me?" syndrome from adults. Motivation is a funny thing - it's hard to put your finger on what motivates certain people. Maybe this is why it has become more challenging to be a teacher today - we will be expected to reach deeper into the individual needs and motivations of our students to find out what makes them want to succeed. I guess a lot of this goes back to the more individualized nature of society, too. Am I making sense?

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:59 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]