View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Poisonwood Bible 
All-star
All-star

Hi Everyone:

Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving filled with reflections of gratitude and thansgiving. Well, I am back at it again.

Nathan Price's truth is objectivity. Wow! No regard for family. What he believes to be the "right way" is killing his wife and his daughters. Even the girls know there is something wrong with their father. He says his mission work is for the salvation of the Congolese, but at the risk of his family? When the Underdowns let the family know that their trip was not santioned, I really thought they would go home, but because Nathan really believes his God-eye point of view is right, they stay.

I really don't like the way Nathan treats his family. I really don't like what happens in the Congo, even with Belgian control of the Congo. Neither group (The Missions Group of America or Belgian Politics)have the interest of the Concolese people at heart. Each party has its own interest, and I fail to see anthing else. Is this the question to ponder after this part? Who governs and or determines what is best for children in education? Who's children? Um....... When Nathan and his family are informed to leave,he brags on "Miracles" he has performed in the Congo.

Lots of questions are coming to mind when I think of the Poisonwood Bible and education. What is the focus , so far as education?? Are we to learn the premis of the truth that some decision makers of education rely on? Is it to clearly see "objectivty truth" as displayed in Nathan as he operates his "forced agreement"? Is it Nathan Price's idea about what he brings to a people, who don't seem to need what he is trying to bring him for their salvation;they already have a "story"--their own culture. Are we to see Nathan as the realists, who has the absolute truth, through God even at the expense of his wife and children?

This book is a part of Oprah's book club. What made it a part of it? The overbearing, abusive Nathan, in the treament of his family? What is the connection in education with this particular book? Are we looking at the idea that Multicultrialism should be taught as a course in teacher education? (Nathan nor his family had the proper training to work with people of another culture, though it was offered.) By the end of the book,(which I heard-- may be a surprise to me) perhaps, I will make the connections that are intended, and be able to answer my own questions. We shall see. (smile)

Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Aren't a certain number of "multicultural" hours required for undergrads at ASU? I think the lesson we can apply to education deals with listening to other people and considering their objectives as well as our own. Nathan refused to bend and so was destined for failure. I am curious, do any of you admire him for "standing his ground?" I've been thinking a lot about what Betsy said about people in our country admiring (respecting?) people who stand their ground. My instinct was to strongly disagree with that...I think we, as a culture, admire people who think as we do...though we might say we admire them for standing up for their beliefs, etc. I think to admire someone for standing their ground implies a certain level of agreement...or either passivity. Doubtful anyone is going to praise someone they completely disagree with...What are your thoughts?

Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Angela has a point. Don't we usually call people who stand their ground (who we think are wrong) stubborn!!

Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I have had a lot of thoughts running through my mind. I like what Shiela and Betsy has said in, antoher post, as related to education. Do we not have imposed on us the Big T as with Betsy and the reading program that is being required. Isn't that similiar to NCLB and Nathan' beleifs that he is right in his convictions and can't see the others story and have any understanding for their beliefs. Is this not sometimes what happens in educaton? The powers that be believe that that are ultimately right in how we should teach the students and don't listen to ohers viewpoints. I hope that made sense.

Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:53 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]