View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Who was your favorite character in Poisonwood? 
All-star
All-star

I am curious to see who had a favorite character and why.

When I first started reading Poisonwood Leah was my favorite character. Once I really got into the book I was drawn to Adah Price's character. Her character intrigued me most because she started out weak but ended up finding her own way in life.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:58 pm
All-star
All-star

My favorite character was Leah. She may have started out with a weak body by some standards, but she was very smart. Quietly taking everything in. At the end she had become physically and mentally stronger.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I definitely liked Adah the best. I enjoyed reading her palindromes and strange way of thinking. In fact, I could relate to her in a strange way. I am short (as you know) and on the tennis court (I played in high school.) people would take one look at me and dismiss me as an opponent. Luckily, I usually proved that "you can't judge a book by its cover" (as I beat them - or at least gave them a run for their money!)Adah was a bit like that. Everyone thought she was dumb and slow, but in the end she proved herself.

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I am almost finsihed reading-I only have about 40 some more pages to go-I tried to finsih last night-but fell asleep reading-as usual :roll:

Candy, I also liked Leah best in the beginning but the more I read I discovered that I was drawn to Adah.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:39 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Candy:

My favorite character was Adah. She had the most positive ending. She was able to excel beyond any expectations of her childhood. She seemed to have accepted who she was and who she had become. She and Leah ended up being who they were, twins. Both of them had a drive to help others in their own way. Some of Nathan Price was planted in them all. He wanted to give, but he really was confused on how becuase he felt his way was the best and only way. I really enjoyed the book, but it was a slow beginning.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:28 am
All-star
All-star

I too liked Adah because like Shelia had said she had exceded her childhood expectations. Many didn't feel she would be successful in life because of her disabilities. I did like how her character ended in the book.
At first I thought I liked the mother a bit, however her weakness towards Nathan really turned me off. I think I felt sorry for her more than anything.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:35 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

From the beginning of the book I liked Adah better than the others. Her silent nature and complex thinking made her an intriguing character. I, too, enjoyed the palindromes. Because of her physical weakness, I thought she may have been the one who died. Of course, that would have been too obvious. I was pleased to discover that she ended up being a very strong character, both physically, spiritually and mentally.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:50 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]