View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 US war efforts 
All-star
All-star

I couldn't help wondering about the US efforts in the Middle East after reading this book. While I do believe we are doing good work over there, I couldn't help but wonder if we are "pushing" the American way of life on the people of Afghanistan and Iraq. Nathan Price failed to acknowledge the way of life, the culture, the religion of those living in the Congo. Do we acknowledge the traditions and cultures of the countries we are "helping"? Or do take on the "Nathan Price mentality" and try to change their ways to our ways??

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:00 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Hi Ginger. I was thinking about the same issue as I read the Poisonwood Bible. I wonder if we sometimes assume that everyone wants to live like we do and push our way of life onto them. Our country has developed a strong sense of patriotism over the past four years, which I think is wonderful. However, at the same time I think we have also continued to develop a sense of being better than everyone else. It seems that instead of trying to help other countries lives peacefully and maintain their own culture, we push them to live peacefully but change their culture. For example, many of us do not understand why the women in the Middle East have to be covered completely with clothes and we want to empower them to overcome that. However, it is a part of their culture and way of life. Is it our place to push them to gain more freedom from their husbands, fathers, brothers, etc.? It is just something to think about.

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I too thought about Iraq and Afghanistan after reading the Poisonwood Bible. I think sometimes we are a little adiment about pushing the idea of freedom and democracy onto other nations like Iraq and Afghanistan. I think we are being realists when we do. We know that having freedom is wonderful and that's what we believe to be the best. However, these people have culture norms and values that have been around for many years. Maybe we should be pragmatists and listen to their ideas and wants as well. I know I'm rambling but these are just my opinions. I hope I'm making sense!! :) :wink:

Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:44 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Laura. I think that there are ways to help other countries without ignoring their values and cultural beliefs. I know that as Americans we have certain ideas and values that we find to be the most important in being a successful country. Maybe if we worked side by side with other countries, heard their thoughts, and then shared our views, we would be seen more as assisting in their success instead of pushing them into our way of life.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

And this goes back to the issue of valuing diversity. It's so much a part of human nature to things our way - probably even more so in the US. We've talked a lot about diversity in the classroom and the more I think about it, I feel we don't really repsect the differences of others. We want our students to hold the same values and ideas as we hold. How do we truly respect and uphold the diversity of our students?

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:56 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]