View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Importance of Perspective 
All-star
All-star

After our last class, I have read the Poisonwood Bible differently. In the beginning I was not too crazy about Nathan Price. I thought that he treated his wife and children unfairly and harshly. However, once I started to think about him from his point of view, I understood him. I am not saying that I agree with his actions and views but I can understand where he is coming from and why his view of the Truth is important to him. For me, last class and reading this book has given me the opportunity to think about my own beliefs and views. I have started to think about how I come across to others when I share my thoughts and feelings. I believe that it is important for all of us to have certain beliefs and truths in our lives that we stick to and value. However, I can also see the benefit of accepting, understanding, and listening to the other side. There has to be a way to value one another and compromise for the greater good. What do you ladies think?

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Amie-you said that beautifully-I totally agree with you. I too believe that it is important to have our own personally beliefs, however at the same time we should respect the befiefs of others-even if we don't agree with them completely.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:05 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Very well put Amie. I agree. If we as humans would listen to all sides we might be a lot better off in a lot of different aspects than we are now. We may listen then we go ahead with our own beliefs with disreguard to others. This ties in with the other post that deal with the midlle eastern countries. We impose our beliefs and assume that they are the "right" way.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:43 am
All-star
All-star

Nicely put Amie. I also agree with what you said. We can stick to our own beliefs ("truths") and still value someone else's. I also agree with Isobel - I just read the other post on the different countries- this discussion ties in nicely with that topic as well. Great points!!

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you ladies. We should consider and listen to what people have to say. Listening to others might open new ideas to something. After last weeks class I too have read The Poisionwood Bible differently. This makes me think of how some teachers want it their way or no way when doing work. I think about my cousin who is in 6th grade. She is not liking her math teacher because her teacher right now because she is telling her that she wants them to complete math problems her way and not do them any other way. That really bothers me! If a student is able to figure out the answer to me it dosen't matter how they got it as long as they understand how to do it. Of course, as long as they don't use a calculator or something when they are not supposed to. Anyway I thought that this was just another way to explain the Big T truth vs. little t truth and not listening to others thoughts.

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 pm
All-star
All-star

April, the example of the math teacher who didn't want your cousin to use her way of solving her math problems could be an example of what we should avoid in education. (That would be thinking there's only one way to solve an equation, or not seeing there is more than one way to get to the same answer). Granted, sometimes it is good to learn certain subjects in a foundational, standard way. But, even in math, as your cousin's shown, there might be more than one way to "skin a cat"! It's too bad the teacher didn't praise her for figuring out a new way of solving a problem, rather than make her feel frustrated for doing something her own way. I think you can both praise a student for figuring out other ways to approach learning, while keeping them on track. It would've been nice if the teacher would've done that. It's tough in public education I guess because the teacher's side of it might be, "I don't want the other kids to get confused and if I allow another approach to solving this equation come into the discussion it will totally confuse some kids". I guess you have to see from both perspectives.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:34 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that the book would have been very different with chapters written from Nathan's perspective! By thinking about how and why Nathan did what he did, we may have actually looked at the girls in the story differently, and even sided with him! Seeing stories from other perspectives is what it's all about. It takes many different perspectives in life to truly tell "the whole story." I wonder why Barbara Kingsolver did not include Nathan's perspective. Did we ever really say what her reasoning for that was? Does anyone know?

Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:18 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 7 posts ]