View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Interesting Quotes from The Poisonwood Bible 
All-star
All-star

There are numerous quotes in this book that portray the characters and their true selves and I thougt it would be interesting to see what the class found that they feel are noteworthy quotes.

Here is one that I found early in the book on pg. 96.
This is Orleanna talking here about Nathan-
"Nathan as a boy played football on his high school team in Killdeer, Mississippi, with great success evidently, and expected his winning season to continue ever after. He could not abide losing or backing down. I think he was well inclined toward stubbornness, and contemptuous failure, ..."

This quote rings true of Nathan Price and the type of life he lead.
I am looking forward to seeing what are some of the other quotes that you found to be interesting.

Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:46 am
All-star
All-star

April, that is an interesting quote about Nathan's description. Contemptuous failure would hit the nail on the head, knowing the whole story now as we do! What is sad in the story is that even to the end, you have to wonder if Nathan ever really cared? He disregarded who he saw as non-powerful. He felt the people of Kilanga were in need of him and his God, but he didn't consider what they may have really needed to make their lives better didn't necessarily start with his brand of religion.

Another thing is he never showed them compassion; look at the example we were talking to last night in class, when Nelson is crying to get inside the house. He screams at him to shut up! A child who has worked to make sure his family is provided for. Had he shown an inkling of understanding to their fears or feelings, they may have seen some of the aspects of his belief system that would make them want to be "won over". But, he never even considered that.

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:59 am
All-star
All-star

I really like Rachel's quote on page 619, which I thought was very insightful for her. She said, "Father's mistake, see, was to try to convert the whole entire shebang over into just his exact way of thinking. He always said, 'Girls , you choose your path and stick to it and suffer your consequences!' Well, if he's finally dead now and laid to rest in some African voodoo cemetery, or worse yet eaten up by the wild animals, well, amen. I guess that is about as consequential as it gets." This shows us that Nathan was truly the type of man who would stick to something until it killed him--or his family members. This also tells us that his daughters were aware of his obsession with fulfilling his mission or duty--even at the expense of their family.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:07 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]