View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 when all is said and done 
All-star
All-star

This class has involved some very thought provoking ideas and issues. It has taken us into some areas of umfamiarlity(Rorty) and down some paths that we may not have wanted to travel (how we have treated minorities in the past) Some of these paths have been painful to deal with. This class had opened up issues that we may have never verballized but subconsciously know.(Delpit). I quess through all this rambling I'm saying it has been a good learning experience and one that I feel will be helpful as our students walk through the door each day. Thanks to the class and Dr. Turner.

Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:44 am
All-star
All-star

I will have to second the thanks! I have really been challenged in what I thought about topics and what I believe. The insight of Ishmael, the confusion of Rorty (well...at least to me) and the powerful message of the Poisonwood Bible. Thanks for opening a door that would have stayed closed had I had to pursue it on my own!

Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Well I add a third to all that you two ladies have said here. I will have to be honest and say here that reading is NOT my favorite activity for my spare time. I was definately taken places that I would have never gone on my own. I am still facing that challenge part as I try to sort through all our conversations, notes, class discussions, etc. to put somewhat of a close on this final Exam. I was certainly challenged (Rorty!!!!), and as Isobel said made aware of SO many things that maybe I knew (in my mind) but maybe did not really want to admit. I think the group of people that made up our class made our discussions so interesting. We had so many different "stories" to hear. Being able to share with others and listen to their experiences made all these topics so meaningful to our everday life. I also agree with you Isobel. I think this class will enable me to deal with the many situations (that are not even academic) that I deal with EVERY day in my classroom!

Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:54 pm
All-star
All-star

I will have to say this has been one interesting and challenging class. I enjoyed reading most of the books and articles. I will have to say the Dewey article was the most challenging to understand. I really enjoyed reading the Poisonwood Bible. I agree with the others when I say that I usually don't have time to read for enjoyment. If it wasn't for this class I may have never been exposed to such mind boggling books,ideas, and situations. Thanks Dr. Turner for getting the wheels in my head turning.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:26 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I agree with you girls. I don't think I would have ever thought about half the things we discussed without this class. It has opened my eyes to many things. I think that it has made me a better teacher as well. I have noticed that I think before I act in certain situations with my students, especially for my behaviorally challenged students. I have started to ask myself, what is their story?

Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]